Tile-targeted work

What would you like to see in Freeciv? Do you have a good idea what should be improved or how?
Ignatus
Elite

Tile-targeted work

Post by Ignatus »

Currently, all worker actions (M,O,T,R...) are performed on the tile where the worker is; they don't require target. I propose to set a way to do something like this to adjacent tiles. In fact, to fill up a minor lake you should not need putting on it a transport (or lol helicopter), workers should be able to do it just throwing mud there from the shore. Also, it would be a reasonable way to build tunnels (like in Alien World). Also, if we don't build anything, just accumulate movement points before enter an adjacent tile, this would make the "honest" movement of CivVI (i.e., if your unit has has speed 1mp and travelling on Mountines requires 2mp, you will spend 2 turns climbing one).
Wahazar
Elite

Re: Tile-targeted work

Post by Wahazar »

Terraform actions should be taken as you described, it would resolve problem with random unit movement while transforming sea<>land.
Augmented2 ruleset/modpack for freeciv2.6: http://forum.freeciv.org/f/viewtopic.php?f=11&t=91047
nef
Elite

Post by nef »

this would make the "honest" movement of CivVI (i.e., if your unit has has speed 1mp and travelling on Mountines requires 2mp, you will spend 2 turns climbing one).
How does Civ VI manage this? This issue has been raised elsewhere (17. Tired move - original post by Akechi.) and I suggested a move deficit counter, This would mean the unit would move onto the mtn straight away (if it had any mp) but could not get off until it had recovered enough to be +ve again. Does Civ VI have an "accumulation" counter? In reality this would be just the same - it's just a matter of setting thresholds and criteria - the absolute values are immaterial - the key point is that if x mp is required then x mp is required - and not something less.

An aside here: Civ I had a hack dealing with this. It claimed that "wheeled" units were not good on mtns and sometimes failed to make the move. This was stochastic and evaluated even turn so you could get stuck for some time. Also it applied to ANY unit with 2MP including diplomats.
Ignatus
Elite

Post by Ignatus »

Have not played CivVI myself, the wiki says it works so. That slows down on rough terrain a lot while in other civ games you can move at least one tile a turn. Don't know if attack is an exception.
nef
Elite

Post by nef »

Checked out the wiki. Started out simple enough but by the end my eyes had glazed over. Altogether too arcane for current ambitions for fc (IMHO). The initial concept was for an accumulation ctr but there was no clear reference to upper limits - but a later implication that there was one which meant that some terrain was not accessible on this account. Personally I think this is nonsense. To my way of thinking travel is either possible or not possible and should not be related to time needed. The deficit ctr I proposed allows immediate access that would be delayed in Civ VI only in obscure circumstances, if indeed there are any, but it has the advantage that movement, if allowed, is allowed.

In any event, I think "honest movement" would be a desirable option in fc, and I think there is a general view for this.