RoundSquare tileset

Contribute, display and discuss art and tilesets for use in Freeciv here.
Wahazar
Elite

Re: RoundSquare tileset

Post by Wahazar »

One thing deserves to be fixed: health bar. Original is more readable thanks to the white/red stripe, this green/black point ratio is hard to spot.
Augmented2 ruleset/modpack for freeciv2.6: http://forum.freeciv.org/f/viewtopic.php?f=11&t=91047
Hans Lemurson
Veteran

Post by Hans Lemurson »

Wahazar wrote:One thing deserves to be fixed: health bar. Original is more readable thanks to the white/red stripe, this green/black point ratio is hard to spot.
Really? That's strange. I designed the HP bar to be more readable for me, and take up less room. The shape of the bar changes along with the color of the dots, so you can tell 9HP from 8HP.

What monitor resolution are you working at?
Wishes he could convert Civ2's scenarios to FreeCiv...
But instead, he made his own tileset variants, RoundSquare and Sextant-enHANSed, and refuses to play on anything else. Check them out!
Wahazar
Elite

Post by Wahazar »

Hans Lemurson wrote:What monitor resolution are you working at?
1280x1024, but it is not resolution issue, rather contrast: this black stripe of missing HP is barely visible, in case of 8/10 HP.
Green stripe interfere with green production dots.
I propose the following HP bar:
bleed.png
bleed.png (255 Bytes) Viewed 22872 times
- HP turn from white into dark oblivion, and bleeding is clearly visible.
Augmented2 ruleset/modpack for freeciv2.6: http://forum.freeciv.org/f/viewtopic.php?f=11&t=91047
Wahazar
Elite

Post by Wahazar »

Another proposal of contribution: pollution with smoke.
Such cluttered image is hard to spot even on empty tile and almost impossible to notice in case of tile occupied by city/fortress with units - try count polluted tiles:
ttrash1.jpg
ttrash1.jpg (8.11 KiB) Viewed 22779 times
I added some flames and blurred smoke, which sticks out of the tile:
pollution_trident.png
pollution_trident.png (1.12 KiB) Viewed 22779 times
The tricky thing is, that this image has 48x30 size and picture of trashes is moved to the left so they are displayed as usual, and semi-transparent smoke stick out to the right side, so it is always visible regardless of tile occupancy, but do not obscure view of neighboring tile:
ttrash2.jpg
ttrash2.jpg (8.18 KiB) Viewed 22779 times
Code for additional image:

Code: Select all

[extra]
sprites =
	{	"tag", "file"
		"tx.pollution", "RoundSquare/pollution_trident"
	}
PS. what about RoundHex tileset? Is it planned?
Hans Lemurson
Veteran

Post by Hans Lemurson »

Those graphics look good. I'll upload the latest version that I've been neglecting to share for the last 3 months, then see what I can do about incorporating them.

Your HP bar is interesting. I'm not convinced I like it better than mine, but I think there should be a simple way to add alternate HP bars to the Tileset that can be changed via a simple configuration.

Getting a good pollution graphic is challenging. It needs to be visible and obvious, but not so glaring that it bothers the eyes. 30x30 tiles are pretty darned small, so you can't let anything important be subtle. I fear that even with smoke, the pollution may still be too subtle.
But instead, he made his own tileset variants, RoundSquare and Sextant-enHANSed, and refuses to play on anything else. Check them out!
Hans Lemurson
Veteran

Post by Hans Lemurson »

RoundSquare version 0.43: Now featuring Teal Silk, subtler Farmland coloration, and enhanced-visibility pollution.
This is now the RAINBOW BARF update!!!
Have you ever gotten tired of squinting at the terrain trying to see whether that was in fact pollution or not?
Well no more!
What was once a scattering of trash in dark blue an neutral colors is now the aftermath of a UNICORN DRINKING BINGE!!!
With this new update, you'll just HAVE to clean up your pollution ASAP!
Your retinas will thank you.
Attachments
RoundSquare v0.43.zip
(185.65 KiB) Downloaded 722 times
Wahazar
Elite

Post by Wahazar »

Hans Lemurson wrote:Getting a good pollution graphic is challenging. It needs to be visible and obvious, but not so glaring that it bothers the eyes.
Well, do your psychodelic waste fulfill all above requirements? ;)
At least is is visible, on the unoccupied tile. But if covered by some units, it is hard to spot even if fluorescent.
My idea with smoke was, that such smoke stick out of tile (but is semitransparent, thus content of other tile is visible).
But black smoke is barely visible on dark background (for example ocean+fog of war), so new version have two smokes: black and white (quantum Pope):
pollution_trident2.png
pollution_trident2.png (2.53 KiB) Viewed 22736 times
I added also little fluorescent leak, but very subtle (if compared to these illness... :)
Hans Lemurson
Veteran

Post by Hans Lemurson »

Hehe, yeah...
Basically this was publishing what I'd had ready (but hadn't shared) a couple months ago. No new thought or analysis or refinement was present.

I do like your new flamey smokey pollution though! It's not a 30x30 graphic, so it won't be able to go into the main tiles.png file, but I think it's nice enough to add.
Corbeau
Elite

Post by Corbeau »

The Quantum Pope.

Sounds like a novel by Richard Morgan :D
--
* Freeciv LongTurn, a community of one-turn-per-day players and developers
* LongTurn Blog - information nexus with stuff and stuff and stuff
* Longturn Discord server; real-time chatting, discussing, quarrelling, trolling, gaslighting...
Wahazar
Elite

Post by Wahazar »

Hans Lemurson wrote: It's not a 30x30 graphic, so it won't be able to go into the main tiles.png file
Exactly, it is 48x30 by design, to be visible on adjoining tile, and need to be defined as a separate file (code already cited above).