Bombarder unit making normal attacks?

Various topics about the game, the website, or anything else Freeciv related that doesn't fit elsewhere.
Corbeau
Elite

Bombarder unit making normal attacks?

Post by Corbeau »

I am playing a 3.0 game and what happened was a "Bombarder" flag unit attacked another unit and died. This isn't supposed to happen. Can anyone shed some light under what conditions are bombard attacks performed as regular attacks?

Ruleset is here. The attacking unit was a Bowmen, attacking another ground unit from one land tile to another. Maybe the attacked unit was on a river, but I'm not sure anymore.
--
* Freeciv LongTurn, a community of one-turn-per-day players and developers
* LongTurn Blog - information nexus with stuff and stuff and stuff
* Longturn Discord server; real-time chatting, discussing, quarrelling, trolling, gaslighting...
cazfi
Elite

Re: Bombarder unit making normal attacks?

Post by cazfi »

You have an action enabler that enables regular "Attack".

Some actions can block each other (if the blocking action is available, one cannot do blocked action). While the overall mechanism is much more better in later branches, you can make (availability of) "Bombard" to block "Attack" in 3.0 already.

Your game.ruleset seems to be missing a lot of fields that are in the supplied rulesets. Of course that only means that the defaults will be used, but you may want to check more complete rulesets for documentation.

In 3.0, you would use force_bombard

Code: Select all

; If force_bombard is set to TRUE it is illegal for an actor unit to
; explode nuclear or perform a regular attack against a tile if it can
; bombard it in stead.
force_bombard = FALSE
Note that such a unit might still do regular attack in some specific situation if no action enabler for "Bombard" is not active (and it's thus not blocking), but action enabler for "Attack" is active.
Corbeau
Elite

Post by Corbeau »

Thanks.

Can I consider Sandbox "more complete"?
--
* Longturn Discord server; real-time chatting, discussing, quarrelling, trolling, gaslighting...
cazfi
Elite

Post by cazfi »

Corbeau wrote:Can I consider Sandbox "more complete"?
All the rulesets in the freeciv distribution should have complete commentary, though civ1/civ2 likely still lack some parts for historic reasons.
Dino the Dinosore
Hardened

Post by Dino the Dinosore »

I'm currently experimenting with bombard actions, and what I see is that when bombard is not legal, you still get the dlog saying, e.g. "Your Archers is waiting for your command" with Attack as a choice. When bombard is legal, you also get the Bombard choice. Do you remember what the dlog said, or did you not get the dlog?
Corbeau
Elite

Post by Corbeau »

Dino the Dinosore wrote:I'm currently experimenting with bombard actions, and what I see is that when bombard is not legal, you still get the dlog saying, e.g. "Your Archers is waiting for your command" with Attack as a choice. When bombard is legal, you also get the Bombard choice. Do you remember what the dlog said, or did you not get the dlog?
If you're asking me, I was the one attackED, I don't have the attacker log.
--