Freeciv-2.6 lifetime

Various topics about the game, the website, or anything else Freeciv related that doesn't fit elsewhere.
cazfi
Elite

Freeciv-2.6 lifetime

Post by cazfi »

There's certainly going to be freeciv-2.6.6 release, most likely around December/January with the goal of it making it to Ubuntu 22.04 LTS.

I'm undecided what happens to freeciv-2.6 branch (S2_6) after that, and would like to hear your opinions for making the decision. Any potential 2.6.7 release would come out only long after 3.0.0 has already been released. Would there be any users for 2.6.7 at that time, or would it just be waste of resources to develop it? Should we declare EOL (End-of-Life) for S2_6 immediately after 2.6.6 release, or should we keep fixing bugs in it?
In the past we've made one more release from the previous branch after .0 from the new branch has been released.
There might be reason to keep 2.6 series alive overlapping 3.0 series even longer than what the overlap has been with earlier branches, if there's many users who can't (because of increased requirements) or want (don't like changes made to 3.0) to update to 3.0 series.
Corbeau
Elite

Re: Freeciv-2.6 lifetime

Post by Corbeau »

I’m not a developer, but what I see is 3.x already being heavily developed by all Freeciv forks and it coming into a very frequent use, so I’d say that moving on would definitely be more economic.
--
* Freeciv LongTurn, a community of one-turn-per-day players and developers
* LongTurn Blog - information nexus with stuff and stuff and stuff
* Longturn Discord server; real-time chatting, discussing, quarrelling, trolling, gaslighting...
cazfi
Elite

Post by cazfi »

With those earlier versions the final releases were made mostly for the benefit of longturn.net (don't know if they then actually used those releases, but they were the reason given for the releases anyway) as they were somewhat slow to adopt their servers to newer branches.
Corbeau
Elite

Post by Corbeau »

This is the first time I hear something like this. But I haven’t been around for most of LT lifetime. If that indeed is the case, I’m guessing you can save yourself the trouble, LT is now developing in a different direction.
--
* Longturn Discord server; real-time chatting, discussing, quarrelling, trolling, gaslighting...
wieder
Elite

Post by wieder »

I'm fairly sure longturn.net will be running 2.6 games for some time. My best guess is that even if there would be a transition to new version we would be running 2.6 games for some time after that. Running with the old stable code and ruleset serves those who want to have stability and we have not been adding changes to the LTT ruleset for some time now. Also, the games may take up to 6 months to run so it's possible that we would be running 2.6 games until the end of 2022 even with a quick transition to a new version.

Our users definitely benefited from the final 2.5 releases and those were used by our users.
Corbeau
Elite

Post by Corbeau »

… and when we switch, we’ll probably be switching t 3. anyway.
--
cazfi
Elite

Post by cazfi »

wieder wrote:we would be running 2.6 games until the end of 2022
So if we were to release 2.6.7 summer 2022, it (client at least, if no server updates to a running game) would still be used by longturn people for about six months.
Corbeau
Elite

Post by Corbeau »

I don’t know about Wieder and LTT. I’m updating Sim ruleset to 3.0. Avi ruleset is already 3.0.
--
cazfi
Elite

Post by cazfi »

2.6.5 download rate seems to remain in relatively stable 60 downloads a day. https://sourceforge.net/projects/freeci ... s/timeline
jwrober

Post by jwrober »

2.6.5 is already pretty darn stable. I would think a final 2.6.6 as proposed would be fine and let 2.6 be EOL at that point. My $0.02