What does Freeciv consider to be a continent?

Various topics about the game, the website, or anything else Freeciv related that doesn't fit elsewhere.
Lawber

What does Freeciv consider to be a continent?

Post by Lawber »

Screenshot 2020-02-09 at 20.54.12 - Edited (1).png

My nation (Spain) consists of the mainland (north of the swamp tile, contains Madrid) and 3 or so continents (Las Palmas is on one). I had the idea of connecting them to make unit transport easier. I am also building freights on the Palmas continent to set up routes with my ally, whose on the Madrid continent. Because trade gets a bonus when two cities are on different continents, I am worried the bridge might make Freeciv consider them to be one continent. Are the continents still two different continents?
Alien Valkyrie
Elite

Re: What does Freeciv consider to be a continent?

Post by Alien Valkyrie »

I believe they are no longer different continents. You should be able to middle-click (there might be some combination of shift-ctrl-alt-click that works as well, but it escapes me at the moment) to display various tile information; somewhere among that should be a continent ID. You could check if that is different between the two cities.
~ AVL
Ignatus
Elite

Post by Ignatus »

Yes, continents are recalculated any time a tile terrain is changed between land and ocean by any means. If there is a path, the continents are same.

You can know by middle-click the continent number of any tile you have ever seen, even if you have not seen it for long. Negative numbers are oceans/lakes, positive are land masses.
Lawber

Post by Lawber »

Screenshot 2020-02-10 at 19.50.02.png
I have confirmed that Freeciv did consider the two continents to be a single continent. I assume a diagonal connection between two landmasses would still make them one continent. I then tested trade to see if it gets recalculated after separation.
Screenshot 2020-02-10 at 18.51.23.png
Screenshot 2020-02-10 at 18.51.45.png
Screenshot 2020-02-10 at 19.42.46.png
As demonstrated, it did boost trade. This seems like a mechanic I could use to boost trade with any nation, by creating little islands on which trade cities sit. and watch extra money flow because it's a "continent."