Possible bug with tech upkeep

Various topics about the game, the website, or anything else Freeciv related that doesn't fit elsewhere.
Corbeau
Elite

Possible bug with tech upkeep

Post by Corbeau »

I'm running a test game. I toggled AI and set timeout so that the game runs for a while, then re-toggled myself back in. Now I'm running Despotism with 0% Science and for a few turns I've been losing tech due to unmet upkeep. And the numbers are very wierd.

For starters, divider is 1000 and tech_upkeep_free=3.

Looking at a techtree with only 4 tech discovered:
Pottery
Iron Working
Writing
Monarchy

Bulbs needed for upkeep: 36

After pressing Turn Done:
lost Iron Working
Bulbs needed for upkeep: 35

After pressing Turn Done:
lost Iron Working
Bulbs needed for upkeep: 26

After that, any other turn, "current bulbs" started going further and further into the negatove and no techs were lost anymore.

Also, what happened to tech_upkeep_free? With these numbers, I was supposed to avoid paying tech upkeep until I have researched 3000 worth of bulbs and that actually does happen when you're researching, that is, accumulating bulbs.
--
* Freeciv LongTurn, a community of one-turn-per-day players and developers
* LongTurn Blog - information nexus with stuff and stuff and stuff
* Longturn Discord server; real-time chatting, discussing, quarrelling, trolling, gaslighting...
Hyun

Re: Possible bug with tech upkeep

Post by Hyun »

Are those the rules under which AI operates all the time? That's kind of worrying, no?
Corbeau
Elite

Re: Possible bug with tech upkeep

Post by Corbeau »

Can someone clarify or confirm this? It seems that tech upkeep takes into account the number of bulbs acquired/produced/researched during the game, not the (base) cost of all the techs the nation is in possession of. This would mean that tech upkeep does not decrease if a tech is lost due to negative Sci production; furthermore, if you discover-lose-discover-lose techs, you will pay more and more tech upkeep, even though you are staying on the same tech level.

Is this correct?
--
* Freeciv LongTurn, a community of one-turn-per-day players and developers
* LongTurn Blog - information nexus with stuff and stuff and stuff
* Longturn Discord server; real-time chatting, discussing, quarrelling, trolling, gaslighting...