Gameplay ruined yesterday, why?

Various topics about the game, the website, or anything else Freeciv related that doesn't fit elsewhere.
Swaynacl

Gameplay ruined yesterday, why?

Post by Swaynacl »

I've been playing a random the past few days, it was just getting good but I loaded it up a bit ago and the map is vastly different!
The view is straight down, and flat, as opposed to tilted back, I could deal with that but it's zoomed out so far that the citrus names overlap each other and everything else, and I can only zoom back in 4 clicks, at that point I still can't even see my troops, much less terrain or anything important.
I tried starting a new game, no help, reinstalled the game and Checked options, everything looks ok and I have no idea how I could have changed anything in the first place.

If I can't fix this then the game is 100% not playable.
I did notice a few changes to the Empire screen as well, there's more info than there used to be... is this an update that has things messed up?
I feel like it's something I've done, but don't know what or how, and I sure don't know how to fix it.
Any suggestions would be great!
Thanks
Alien Valkyrie
Elite

Re: Gameplay ruined yesterday, why?

Post by Alien Valkyrie »

What Freeciv version are you using? In the client settings (Game → Options → Local Client), at the top of the "Graphics" tab, there should be the "tileset" option. You're probably used to the "amplio2" tileset, which has been the default for a long time. From your description I'll assume that it somehow switched to the "trident" tileset, which is an overhead tileset (as opposed to amplio2, which is iso).
That said, the above part about the options only applies to 2.5 and earlier. If the problem was brought about by switching over to 2.6, the cause will have been that the map you were playing had non-iso topology (did you by chance change that when starting the game?). 2.6 automatically chooses a fitting tileset based on the map topology (which makes perfect sense for square vs. hex, but can be unwanted with rect vs. iso), so since the map was non-iso, it used the standard non-iso tileset (which is trident). If that's the case, I'm afraid there's (currently) no way to fix it.
~ AVL
Swaynacl

Post by Swaynacl »

Thank you very much for the through reply, I really appricate it!
Sadly... it's almost all totally over my head... but I'm not a complete idiot, just ignorant and not great with tech, that said, I'll reread it with the game open and do my best to try to work my way through the options you listed...

I'm playing on mobile, that's a big part of the issue, screen size, over all the map in more detailed than what I was used to, which is nice, but not being able to zoom in sufficiently is a big problem.

I'm on version 2.6.2 ... I thought there may have been a big update to the game and thst was the cause of my woes, but that doesn't seem to be the case.

I tried deleting the game and all my old saves, I don't know how to delete anything else from the game, but I wonder if I did so would it reset the game to the way it was before.

I started a new game to see if I could adjust to the changes, I messed with several options as well but none helped...
One thing that has really got me messed up is that the button to hide full city names had vanished from my screen, this happened mid game and in that time I didn't change any options, so now the big frames city name takes up so much of my screen that I can't see anything... things were atleast tolerable when I could hide city name.

One nice thing about the change is the increased info that I get on the Empire screen, as well as the city screen. Previously I couldn't see what units were connected to each city, that's a big deal, and the extra info on the Empire screen is quite helpful when it comes to setting tech goals.

I mention all this in hopes it might give you more info thst might help me, but it's probably just rambling...
I really hope I can fix all this... I've literally looked for years for a good game for my phone... to he'll with rtbbmmorpg... they're all pay to win and unless you play all day then you can never keep pace... I love complex "thinking" games that you control the pace. I thought I'd found it.

Again, thank you very much for the help, hopefully I can apply it.
cazfi
Elite

Post by cazfi »

Swaynacl wrote:I've literally looked for years for a good game for my phone...
You are playing with your phone? Is this the Android version of freeciv? javaxubunut announced update a couple of days ago in http://forum.freeciv.org/f/viewtopic.php?f=14&t=89721