Raspberry PI server?

Various topics about the game, the website, or anything else Freeciv related that doesn't fit elsewhere.
drgerg
Veteran

Raspberry PI server?

Post by drgerg »

With FreeCiv-Web shutdown (I had a four hours free today :( ), I guess it is time for me to download the client and server versions. Does any one know if the server version runs an a Raspberry Pi (model 3)? Which OS did you use? For $35 US I can have a dedicated server.
Alien Valkyrie
Elite

Re: Raspberry PI server?

Post by Alien Valkyrie »

I haven't actually tried this, but Freeciv is available for GNU/Linux (and even packaged with plenty of distributions), so if you can run a lightweight Linux dist, it should presumably probably theoretically work. Again, I haven't actually tried this.
~ AVL
cazfi
Elite

Re: Raspberry PI server?

Post by cazfi »

Our Raspberry broke years ago, but I used to run freeciv server on Raspbian (most freeciv developers use Debian or Ubuntu so it was trivial to build freeciv on Raspbian). I also tested and OpenEmbedded image with freeciv (I'm maintainer of meta-games OpenEmbedded layer that has freeciv in it). Generally it's much easier to get the freeciv server to work than client as it has not near as many dependencies and requirements as the guis.