Your GTK UI Setup

Various topics about the game, the website, or anything else Freeciv related that doesn't fit elsewhere.
Arbogast
Elite

Re: Your GTK UI Setup

Post by Arbogast »

dunnoob wrote:If 2.6.0 just "happens" to offer a GTK2 client for Windows I'll grab that and don't talk about it. :oops:
That's what I'm hoping, too. But from Cazfi's comments, it doesn't seem promising. I guess I'll stick to my version 2.6 beta 35267.
cazfi
Elite

Post by cazfi »

Arbogast wrote:
dunnoob wrote:If 2.6.0 just "happens" to offer a GTK2 client for Windows I'll grab that and don't talk about it. :oops:
That's what I'm hoping, too. But from Cazfi's comments, it doesn't seem promising. I guess I'll stick to my version 2.6 beta 35267.
Were I unclear? Windows gtk2-client is still supported in freeciv-2.6.
dunnoob
Elite

Post by dunnoob »

cazfi wrote:Were I unclear?
Thanks, all fine. The wiki and this board should have a +1 or similar button (locally, not some G+ tracking) for registered users :)

Meanwhile it takes me less than 10 minutes to find packages/windows/testing/cazfi/installer_msys2/releases/2.6.0-beta2, and less than 10 minutes to figure out that this in fact what I was looking for. :P
BikerViking

Post by BikerViking »

Hi,

New to the game, how do I customize the interface?
I often get lost with the default one.
I'm running gtk3 version on Ubuntu.
vodot
Veteran

Post by vodot »

BikerViking wrote:Hi,

New to the game, how do I customize the interface?
I often get lost with the default one.
I'm running gtk3 version on Ubuntu.
Hi BikerViking, welcome to Freeciv! A fellow ubuntu user here (although the instructions are the same). Sorry nobody welcomed you or responded to this question yet.

To tweak the UI: After you start a game, at the tool bar at the top, go to 'Game' --> 'Options' --> 'Local Client'. This will let you change all manner of things about how the game looks on your machine.
Screenshot 2018-07-13 at 5.43.25 AM - Edited.png
If you're looking to tweak the GUI, then the tab you want is 'Interface'. Experimentation here is proabbly best, although lots of the options are pretty intuitive. Good luck!
Screenshot 2018-07-13 at 5.42.43 AM.png
Jacew

Post by Jacew »

cazfi wrote:
dunnoob wrote:Fresh meat for the Gtk minefield. If 2.6.0 just "happens" to offer a GTK2 client for Windows I'll grab that and don't talk about it. :oops:
There's still gtk2-client for Windows for freeciv-2.6. In freeciv-3.0 gtk2-client still exist to some extend, but Windows builds of it are unlikely (Windows builds switch to using msys2 environment in general, and currently our msys2 environments don't offer gtk2 support). There's no gtk2-client code at all in freeciv-3.1.
Unlike old msys1 environment, msys2 offers gtk+-3.22, so freeciv-3.0 and freeciv-3.1 will provide Windows builds of gtk3.22-client instead of gtk3-client. Current experimental msys2 builds from freeciv-2.6 offer both.
Does this mean that there will be no GTK2 client for 2.6.x series?

GTK3 looks hideous and is really slow and buggy. GTK2 in 2.5.x was really clean and nice UI. I wish we could get that back for windows binary...

Or... Apparently GTK2 can be downloaded from wikipage? Well I try that...