City walls upgrade

Various topics about the game, the website, or anything else Freeciv related that doesn't fit elsewhere.
XYZ
Elite

City walls upgrade

Post by XYZ »

Playing freeciv I always had the problem of a too static game. At the beginning when city walls are not build the game is mobile and a frontal assault is often successfull, though not entirely cheap. But once walls are built the game goes into some sort of hibernation. Gains can only be achieved by difficult operations from the rear or by launching a blitz attack at turn change using a double move. Attacks can be achieved by attacking by river but that is predictabel and massive frontal assault even promote the enemy to veteran statu without attaining gains.

Also from a historic perspective it makes no scence that an ancient or medieval wall is still up to date in modern times. Most city walls were scrapped in the 19. century. Long before that forts replaced city walls around Renaissance. Only some of them were upgraded like in Metz or Przemyśl. And beside few exceptions they were obsolet by WWII.

In short: Walls are too powerfull for a structure that was build centuries ago. It needs at least one upgrade and has ultimately to make place for modern warfare where walls are no protection.
GriffonSpade
Elite

Re: City walls upgrade

Post by GriffonSpade »

To be fair, walls are always fairly effective against infantry (Though not against artillery, planes, etc) There exists the IgWall flag to make a unit ignore walls. (Currently I know at least the 'howitzer' unit has it.

Going back to even ancient units, it seems odd for a phalanx to have the same attack (1/2) as warriors (1/1). Should probably be 2/2 realistically.
XYZ
Elite

Post by XYZ »

It is true, they give protection though depending much on the kind of fortification. Also, only because a modern unit call itself infantry, it doesnt mean it only uses rifles. Infantry can be equipped with mortars, flame throwers and have anti-tank-guns. Infantry played a big role in crushing the Maginot Line, paratroopers skip frontal defense lines and attack from the rear.

I therefore would change my suggestion and make modern fortification not obsolet against modern infantry but lower they defense against them.

Phalanx were very good defenders but they were also very unmobile with they heavy armor in my opinion, I therefore don't know why they should get more attack strength?

Edit: a very similar topic is being discussed there: http://forum.freeciv.org/f/viewtopic.php?f=13&t=740 I moved the discussion over there.
archeologistfossils

Post by archeologistfossils »

I agree. this makes sense. future cities should have force fields too. no joke.
GET OFF MY SIIIIIIIIISSSSSSSSSSSSTTTTTTTTTTTTERRRRRRRRRRRR!!!!!!!!