Game options

Various topics about the game, the website, or anything else Freeciv related that doesn't fit elsewhere.
bluto

Game options

Post by bluto »

I've set the game options to one player per continent and 900 tiles per player - the former because I'm a novice and the latter to avoid starting on small islands. Again and again, I get much less than 900 and sometimes extremely small "start continents" - less than 50 land tiles. Is there another way to prevent these small start islands?
Incidentally, quite often the map generator seems to get locked in isthmus mode - long runs of quite thin strips of land (2 or 3 tiles wide)consisting of a backbone of mountains with the odd arable tile.
I'm playing as Single Player but this seemed to be a more appropriate section of the forum.
Any help or advice would be appreciated.
edd

Re: Game options

Post by edd »

I think you should use the island-based generator, and like the following:

Method used to generate map: Island-based

Method used to choose start positions: Depending on size of continents

You will get one big island per player, with some small islands around everywhere. Play with the settings and use /observe to look at the results.
HanduMan

Post by HanduMan »

I thought I had it somewhere...Once I made a tiny tileset for that purpose. That is, playing with the map generator settings. One could see the whole world in one glance.

Not on my computer. :(

EDIT: Found it. But it was for 2.2.x and iso-hex topology.
bluto

Post by bluto »

Thanks for the replies. I'll try the suggestions and come back .
bluto

Post by bluto »

My thanks to both of you for your replies. I tried your suggestions, edd, and they seem to be just what I wanted, :D I hadn't really noticed the observe button and that has been a revelation. I expect to be using that often in the future.
Arbogast
Elite

Post by Arbogast »

Edd's sugestions are right on the nail! Since I discovered those sugestions, I use them as default settings.
But with the recent versions of Freeciv, I'm stumped with 'tiles size' and other basic geological settings. :(
Probably a POLL could be useful:
* What amount of files do you use?
* with how many players?
etc.
Hope you get the idea.
(ALL the tutorials I found are sorely out of date and no longer pertinent) :roll: