Freeciv usage statistics for 2014/2015

Various topics about the game, the website, or anything else Freeciv related that doesn't fit elsewhere.
AndreasR
Elite

Freeciv usage statistics for 2014/2015

Post by AndreasR »

I have collected some statistics about usage of Freeciv and Freeciv-web for the full year 2014 here:

Freeciv desktop users: 150 274 downloads of the desktop clients on sourceforge.net.
Freeciv-web users: 412 009 sessions by 251 626 users of Freeciv-web on play.freeciv.org.

Freeciv desktop clients download statistics:

Freeciv-web sessions, users and pageviews according to Google Analytics:
Last edited by AndreasR on Tue Jan 05, 2016 5:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
cazfi
Elite

Re: Freeciv usage statistics for 2014

Post by cazfi »

Do you have any statistcis about how many of those freeciv-web sessions were just checking out the pages, and how many actually played? Do you have number of games started, and number of players in those games or at least how many of them were in single-player mode?
AndreasR
Elite

Post by AndreasR »

There were 528 198 games started or joined (measured as the number of pageviews to /webclient), which includes single-player, multi-player and observers.
Most of the games were single-player, altough I don't have exact numbers. I don't have statistics about the number of players in each game, but based on watching the metaserver I can say that most people prefer to play single-player.

Platform: 90% on desktop browser, 5,6% on mobile browser and 4,2% on tablet browser.
Browser: Chrome has 60% usage, Firefox 21%, Safari 8%, Internet Explorer 6%, Opera 1%, Android Browser 1%.
Last edited by AndreasR on Sat Jan 10, 2015 6:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
louis94
Hardened

Post by louis94 »

Is there any statistics of the number of turns played ?
AndreasR
Elite

Post by AndreasR »

louis94 wrote:Is there any statistics of the number of turns played ?
You can see the number of turns played on the metaserver. However, there is no statistics about the total number of turns played across all players.
That would be a cool thing to measure though. For example "You have played a total of 3313 turns, while all Freeciv players players have played 6262362 turns in total".
AndreasR
Elite

Post by AndreasR »

My main message here is that we need to prioritize both the Freeciv desktop clients and Freeciv-web for the browser equally.
I encourage the Freeciv developers to help me with Freeciv-web development on Github.
I will gladly help any of you with getting started with development, and hope that we can continue cooperating and make steps to bring Freeciv and Freeciv-web closer (shared code repository, less patches for Freeciv-web etc).
cazfi
Elite

Post by cazfi »

Not that I'm against anybody participating in freeciv-web side development, but note that it's not like desktop clients would currently be taking all the effort at the expense of freeciv-web. Most of the development is in the server side, used also by the freeciv-web. I think freeciv-web development, as you're one person doing only that + I and sveinung do some updates there too, already uses more development resources than desktop clients.
Arbogast
Elite

Post by Arbogast »

68% Windows players? This is a very large majority! I feel less lonesome.
Doesn't this means that more Windows oriented development should be exist?
cazfi
Elite

Post by cazfi »

Arbogast wrote:68% Windows players? This is a very large majority!
68% of downloads from sourceforge. Most linux users get freeciv directly from their distribution, we don't even have any linux binaries in sourceforge. There are only windows binaries and the source code.
Arbogast
Elite

Post by Arbogast »

Soucerforge? Windows binaries? Can you expand on this?
What does Sourceforge offers me?
I stand corrected, but still, can we -Windows players- could get a little more attention? Maybe I'm crying at a blue moon...