Equivalent of LIMIT ERA scenario/ruleset?

Various topics about the game, the website, or anything else Freeciv related that doesn't fit elsewhere.
oris1024

Equivalent of LIMIT ERA scenario/ruleset?

Post by oris1024 »

Hello,
I'm new to the freeciv project. Was wondering how simple/complex it would be to modify the game rules to take out a bulk of the technologies (along with those techs' units/buildings/wonders/worker-abilities). Basically what i'm trying to create is a game that takes out the looooong-lasting race element and lets me and ai's play with armies of warriors and swordsmen xD.
I had done this before in Civ3 fairly successfully (in gui editor :p), tried it in Civ2 - was hunting down and removing every relation to every tech, it wouldn't work many different ways. And since debugging seemed to need its own debugging - i gave up on that.
So is this something i could accomplish in freeciv perhaps with tedious but pain-free work? thanks
cazfi
Elite

Re: Equivalent of LIMIT ERA scenario/ruleset?

Post by cazfi »

Shouild be quite easy. Drop most of the techs from tech.ruleset (this means that player starts to research "Future Tech" instead of real techs early on) and from other rulesets remove evertyhing that depends on those techs, or change them to depend on something else.
oris1024

Re: Equivalent of LIMIT ERA scenario/ruleset?

Post by oris1024 »

cazfi wrote:Shouild be quite easy. Drop most of the techs from tech.ruleset (this means that player starts to research "Future Tech" instead of real techs early on) and from other rulesets remove evertyhing that depends on those techs, or change them to depend on something else.
Cool - thanks, thinking of giving this a shot. Also wondering about this Future Tech. From what i understand it's a dummy tech serving the purpose of science-bulb-waste-bucket. Is there a way to make AI stop spending its gold on research completely? Given it's completed all available techs that is.