Greatturn censored

Various topics about the game, the website, or anything else Freeciv related that doesn't fit elsewhere.
Davide

Greatturn censored

Post by Davide »

Greatturn has been censored from metaserver.
I've been able to change it's IP address.
I hope this was a mistake.

Be wiser next time.
cazfi
Elite

Re: Greatturn censored

Post by cazfi »

And what do you mean by "censored"? Accusation is not always the best way to start discussion to resolve technical problems.
Davide

Post by Davide »

Sorry, I haven't been clear.
I mean IP-level blocking of any connection directed to port 80 of *.freeciv.org.

This probably has been a mistake so only the guy who applied the filter knows.
I repeat, it was an IP-level filter targeting me.
JTN
Elite

Post by JTN »

Very few people would have access to apply such a filter. I'm one of them, cazfi's another. There's been no discussion of blocking among the admins. I'm as sure as I can be that there was no deliberate decision to block you.

Most likely something broke. At worst you've triggered some standard automatic DoS protection or similar -- we're not doing anything unusual or customised in that regard on the metaserver. However, given the access pattern you describe in your link, I'd be kind of surprised -- from that description, it's not like you're hitting us particularly heavily.

I did notice that your servers were unusually absent from the metaserver one time when I looked recently (can't remember when).

During the outage, what happened when you tried to connect (presumably to meta.freeciv.org:80) -- "connection refused"? When was this? I can look in the logs to see if there's anything unusual.
Davide

Post by Davide »

Hi Jacob, thanks for attention.

When the blockage occurred, connections from my server's IP address directed to *.freeciv.org (meta, forum, ...) where rejected with no answer from the webserver. At the same time, connections from different IP addresses were allowed and correctly worked.
My server's IP was: 87.18.244.228

I don't think I'm querying metaserver any way heavily, but if that's the case let me know and I'll cache the webpage locally at larger intervals, so that individual instances of Freeciv will poll a local webserver.