New name for Freeciv

Various topics about the game, the website, or anything else Freeciv related that doesn't fit elsewhere.
cazfi
Elite

Re: New name for Freeciv

Post by cazfi »

We're not limiting this to freeciv developers (which would mean freeciv-dev mailing list in practice) and even less to maintainers at this point. Now we want to see what the community as a whole thinks, and if one or more people volunteer to help in the process.
The final decision is firmly in the hands of the Maintainers group. Public opinion is one factor, but not the only one.
pepeto

Post by pepeto »

I am not so much interested by changing the project name. But this is my point of view (notice I am French speaker) :
  • Cultomundi sounds very clear to me
  • Cultorbes doesn't evoque anything. Orbe is so rarely used in French that I am totally unable to detect it in Cultorbes
  • All people in France are able to understand Alea Jacta Est
  • I don't like pompous names like The Free Strategy Game Project or Open Source Strategy Game etc. They are too vague and they don't make dreaming.
Davide

Post by Davide »

pepeto wrote:I don't like pompous names like The Free Strategy Game Project or Open Source Strategy Game etc. They are too vague and they don't make dreaming.
I believe they have been reasoned out of a SEO strategy? Though they are far too generic IMHO.
AndreasR
Elite

Post by AndreasR »

Some more suggestions:

Isotrident - isotrident.org is available (or Amplio, isoengels, neotrident or any of the other tileset names)
Yet Another Strategy Game - YASG.org is avail
Marko Lindqvist's Infinite City Sprawl Simulator (like in "Sid Meier's Civilization")
Art of War in 2D

Looking forward to see some more of your suggestions also
:D
Alien Valkyrie
Elite

Post by Alien Valkyrie »

AndreasR wrote:Art of War in 2D
This. This is awesome.
We'd just need possibilities to use the knowledge from The Art of War in the game.
~ AVL
Arbogast
Elite

Post by Arbogast »

My Two Bits:
I like the idea of a latin name so 'Humanitas' is my choice. It's a tranlation of 'Civilazion' and it fits with most languages. And it's brand new. Never seen it anywhere else.
'Liber' is a very loose translation of 'free', but I find it superficial. Freeciv is free and doen't need to be overstated.
cazfi
Elite

Post by cazfi »

Arbogast wrote:'Liber' is a very loose translation of 'free', but I find it superficial. Freeciv is free and doen't need to be overstated.
Yes, I don't see point in stating Open Source nature of the game in the name - it belongs to the description. However, if it needs to be stated, I would prefer 'libre' over 'free' (even if name is otherwise in English) to avoid the wrong meaning of 'free' - the case of free beer.
cazfi
Elite

Post by cazfi »

... though if "Humanitas Libre" has the meanings I imagine it to have, that would be kind of nice (Remember also current freeciv motto: 'Cause civilization should be free! )

.... going off track and noticing that we no longer display that motto - or rather: only the Xaw-client (the original freeciv client) displays it.
AndreasR
Elite

Post by AndreasR »

cazfi wrote:... though if "Humanitas Libre" has the meanings I imagine it to have, that would be kind of nice (Remember also current freeciv motto: 'Cause civilization should be free! )

.... going off track and noticing that we no longer display that motto - or rather: only the Xaw-client (the original freeciv client) displays it.
I also like Humanitas Libre a lot. Or Libre Humanitas?

What would the project domain name be? Perhaps we could ask the person owning http://librehumanitas.org/ to donate the domain name?
Arbogast
Elite

Post by Arbogast »

Yes! I think that 'Humanitas' should be enough. 'Liber' before or after would be redundant.
'Liber' has a tricky translation if you look it up.
Then "Humanitas 3" has a punch to it, don't you think?
Then, 'Free Humanitas' could remind people of...
EDIT: It's not a typo. Liber is latin. Any way, Liber or Libre -same thing ;)
Last edited by Arbogast on Fri Jan 31, 2014 9:42 am, edited 1 time in total.