Is this dude selling a free game?

Various topics about the game, the website, or anything else Freeciv related that doesn't fit elsewhere.
Th3C10wn

Is this dude selling a free game?

Post by Th3C10wn »

I just came here as I stumbled on this http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/TURN-BASED-ST ... 43c11c2271 and if the guy has nothing to do with freeCiv then he needs an ass kicking (and I cant really do that with no knowledge of freeciv other than what it is)

I hope if this is some dude being a dick that someone here can sort him out.
Davide

Re: Is this dude selling a free game?

Post by Davide »

Taking apart rational and sentimental contemplations whether reselling GPL-ed software is a good or bad thing, I take the opportunity to publish here some marketing material I made the last year. This comprises a gfx CD sleeve, a printable booklet, and a CD serigraphy.

Edit: Material removed from this forum to avoid any potential abuse of trademark.

Full material here: http://civland.org/forum/viewtopic.php?f=21&t=503
Last edited by Davide on Sat Jan 25, 2014 4:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
cazfi
Elite

Post by cazfi »

Uhm. Before you spread this more widely, please use correct capitalization. It's not FreeCiv, but Freeciv (one word).
Davide

Post by Davide »

Yes, no offence intended. I for myself always pay attention to the use of the lowercase 'c'.
However I believe that 'FreeCiv' better suggests the analogy with the commercial Civilizaton to the newcomer.

Edit: The copyright notice shown in the sleeve can be removed from the integral XCF by shadowing a layer.
All the files are free to use and modify for any purpose.
cazfi
Elite

Post by cazfi »

I actually hate the way how people read "freeciv" as "just a civ clone" when almost all the development is about features not present in original civ/2, and instead of hardcoded rules we have a very flexible ruleset format of which civ/2 rules are just one possible subset.
Changing the project name seems far too drastic, given all the work it would cause in all parts of the project and its distribution and requiring people to get know the new name when we're very well known with the current name.
However, I bring this up now, in case other people are more interested about changing the name, when we are making first plans for 3.0 development (3.0 is meant to come after 2.6). Change of the major version number would be natural time to change the project name, if we were to do it.
AndreasR
Elite

New name for Freeciv!

Post by AndreasR »

cazfi wrote:I actually hate the way how people read "freeciv" as "just a civ clone" when almost all the development is about features not present in original civ/2, and instead of hardcoded rules we have a very flexible ruleset format of which civ/2 rules are just one possible subset.
Changing the project name seems far too drastic, given all the work it would cause in all parts of the project and its distribution and requiring people to get know the new name when we're very well known with the current name.
However, I bring this up now, in case other people are more interested about changing the name, when we are making first plans for 3.0 development (3.0 is meant to come after 2.6). Change of the major version number would be natural time to change the project name, if we were to do it.
I think changing the project name would be an awesome idea, to show that the project is taking its own unique direction rather than cloning Civ2.
In my opinion, the Freeciv projects needs some more innovation now, doing new and interesting things, being available on the platforms and operating systems where the users are (mobile and web), and attracting more developers. Open Source projects change name all the time, and they are fine!

Take-Two has a strong brand in the Civilization series and also registered trademarks on Civ and Civilization. In my opinion, a Freeciv with a new name without the "Civ"-history, and a more innovative development direction, would mean that the Freeciv project is actually more "free" to do new interesting things without the Civ-legacy!

Changing the name as part of the 3.0 development cycle would be great. Also, a new project name would be a good opportunity to get a new domain name and a new redesigned website!