Install new GTK Theme in Windows

Various topics about the game, the website, or anything else Freeciv related that doesn't fit elsewhere.
Arbogast
Elite

Re: Install new GTK Theme in Windows

Post by Arbogast »

Yeah Handuman, I knew about those disconnections, but you end up with at least to windows floating around that get in the way of one thing or another.
I don't know how to hide them and call them up at will.
HanduMan

Post by HanduMan »

Arbogast wrote:Yeah Handuman, I knew about those disconnections, but you end up with at least to windows floating around that get in the way of one thing or another.
I don't know how to hide them and call them up at will.
Game-Options-Local Client; Interface tab; Keep dialogs on top.
Unchek this option to send the disconnected dialogs to background.
Arbogast
Elite

Post by Arbogast »

Ah, that's a step upwards.
I tried that and the only way to make the map or the 'population' windows disappear is to reducing (minimizing) them and then they go into the bar in the bottom of the windows screen. To bring them back, I use 'Alt+Tab' but it's a little of a guess job as they are not named (identified).
Then again, any other window that is open (say the City Dialog) or any other and you click ELSWHERE, those windows end up in the background, at the desktop level, so eventually you have a pack of open windows!
But good trick anyway!

Handuman, I need a freeciv secretary, care for a job? :lol:
HanduMan

Post by HanduMan »

Arbogast wrote:Ah, that's a step upwards.
I tried that and the only way to make the map or the 'population' windows disappear is to reducing (minimizing) them and then they go into the bar in the bottom of the windows screen. To bring them back, I use 'Alt+Tab' but it's a little of a guess job as they are not named (identified).
Then again, any other window that is open (say the City Dialog) or any other and you click ELSWHERE, those windows end up in the background, at the desktop level, so eventually you have a pack of open windows!
But good trick anyway!

Handuman, I need a freeciv secretary, care for a job? :lol:
I am currently employed, thank you, but I'll keep your kind offer in mind in case the situation changes. :ugeek:

On my screen, all the dialogs (or windows as you put it) disappear to background when I click on the map view. That includes the overview map and the HUD ('population' window I think, don't know the official name for it either). Make sure you don't have the fullscreen option checked in your View menu because it disables the dialog setting for some reason. If it was checked, quit and restart Freeciv and try again. The fullscreen option seems to act a bit weird now and then.

Finally, I'd suggest upgrading your Windows. ;)
Windows 7 Aero Peek in action.
Windows 7 Aero Peek in action.
Arbogast
Elite

Post by Arbogast »

Quite Right! Full Screen does some funny things in my resolution too...(1280x1024), it comes out bigger than my screen.
Yes, them windows (screens, whatever) do dissapear into the background (the desktop level). And Like I said, you end up with a plethore of menus in the desktop when you reduce the freeciv main menu.
Anyway, shifting the left vertical column to a horizontal bar doesn't seem to solve the problem -visually.
I was hoping that some genius out here could do a kind of an SDL gui, I love the looks, but it's a whole new learning curve... So I gave it up.
But hey! no big thing. I know that those geniuses are more concerned with developing FreeCiv 3.0.0 than fiddling with GUIs. No blame and all Rerspect.
Yet, I feel that FreeCiv should evolve verticaly -version 3.0.0- as well as horizontaly -polishing the GUIs and such-.
Some old games have done just that, Age of Empires comes to mind, as well as some others.
I'd love to hear everyone's point of view!
HanduMan

Post by HanduMan »

Arbogast wrote:Anyway, shifting the left vertical column to a horizontal bar doesn't seem to solve the problem -visually.
I don't understand this statement. Which horizontal bar are you referring to? Windows taskbar? So hide it if it gets on your way.

What am I missing here? :?
Arbogast
Elite

Post by Arbogast »

I meant this:
The default gui of freeciv has a left column with the map and the 'population' window. That's the vertical column.
Handuman's post of 'windows 7 Aero Peek in action' is the horizontal one.
They both take a lot of space including a lot of wasted space.
One Wish is to be able to have the map and the population windows become like the Research or the Demographics windows where they become tabs under the main View window.
HanduMan

Post by HanduMan »

Oh, sorry for not explaining it better. The Aero Peek only shows all separate windows of one program as miniatures when you hover the mouse over that program's icon in the toolbar. It is not visible all the time. I was trying to demostrate how to get the right window from background without guessing which one it is. Aero Peek also works with alt+tab (it shows the miniature windows in the middle of the screen, not the icons as in XP). Also, if you pause in the middle of the alt+tab session windows 7 clears off all other windows and displays only the one you are considering to choose. Don't really know which of these features belong under the name of Aero Peek but that's how it works nowadays. Hence the 'upgrade your Windows' proposal.
Arbogast
Elite

Post by Arbogast »

I'm following you -I think-...
I'm talking about Freeciv GUIs, regardless of the OS.
The 'Aero Peek' is used as an analogy only.
Your sugestion to upgrade is being taking into consideration. In fact, I'm considering upgrading the whole machine. :D