Your GTK UI Setup

Various topics about the game, the website, or anything else Freeciv related that doesn't fit elsewhere.
User avatar
GriffonSpade
Elite
Posts: 549
Joined: Mon Apr 29, 2013 4:41 pm

Your GTK UI Setup

Postby GriffonSpade » Tue Feb 13, 2018 1:38 pm

So, instead of stumbling around with terrible UI setups, maybe we should have a topic where we have what UI setups we use in GTK?

Here's the best one I've found so far:
GTKUI.png
GTKUI.png (14.24 KiB) Viewed 167 times

Interface Options:
Show map scrollbars = TRUE (here, but FALSE often enough)
Messages and Chat Reports section = SEPARATE
Arrange widgets for small display = FALSE

Map widget detached and moved to the bottom-right corner of screen, right up next to the message section's scrollbar.
Messages section raised enough to cover map widget.

This setup works pretty well, and doesn't have any centering distortions from having things floating over the main map.

User avatar
dunnoob
Elite
Posts: 318
Joined: Mon Dec 23, 2013 3:13 am
Location: Hamburg
Contact:

Re: Your GTK UI Setup

Postby dunnoob » Thu Feb 15, 2018 9:50 am

FWIW, everything in tabs, Show map scroll bars FALSE, Messages and Chat reports location MERGED, Arrange widgets for small display TRUE:
2.5.10.png
2.5.10.png (98.44 KiB) Viewed 157 times

User avatar
Arbogast
Elite
Posts: 373
Joined: Tue Jul 16, 2013 9:09 am
Location: France

Re: Your GTK UI Setup

Postby Arbogast » Thu Feb 15, 2018 10:16 am

I like both UIs, but I prefer the one by dunnoob as it gives the largest view.
Can you guys mention which version of the GTK are they? Looks like GTK2.

User avatar
GriffonSpade
Elite
Posts: 549
Joined: Mon Apr 29, 2013 4:41 pm

Re: Your GTK UI Setup

Postby GriffonSpade » Thu Feb 15, 2018 11:10 am

Arbogast wrote:I like both UIs, but I prefer the one by dunnoob as it gives the largest view.
Can you guys mention which version of the GTK are they? Looks like GTK2.


AFAIK, GTK 2, 3, and 3.22 all have the same UI widgets.

User avatar
dunnoob
Elite
Posts: 318
Joined: Mon Dec 23, 2013 3:13 am
Location: Hamburg
Contact:

Re: Your GTK UI Setup

Postby dunnoob » Thu Feb 15, 2018 12:09 pm

GriffonSpade wrote:AFAIK, GTK 2, 3, and 3.22 all have the same UI widgets.
One minor difference, apart from the missing background discussed in another thread, GTK3 has the sidebar on the right. Apparently our examples are GTK2.

User avatar
GriffonSpade
Elite
Posts: 549
Joined: Mon Apr 29, 2013 4:41 pm

Re: Your GTK UI Setup

Postby GriffonSpade » Thu Feb 15, 2018 12:47 pm

dunnoob wrote:
GriffonSpade wrote:AFAIK, GTK 2, 3, and 3.22 all have the same UI widgets.
One minor difference, apart from the missing background discussed in another thread, GTK3 has the sidebar on the right. Apparently our examples are GTK2.


Hmm. Mine is GTK3. So, I'm not sure what's going on. :P

I know QT has an option to switch the sides (Which is very nice), but I don't think GTK has that.

cazfi
Elite
Posts: 1405
Joined: Tue Jan 29, 2013 6:54 pm

Re: Your GTK UI Setup

Postby cazfi » Thu Feb 15, 2018 12:50 pm

dunnoob wrote:GTK3 has the sidebar on the right.
I've seen that with some versions of gtk+-3, and only in Windows, I think. No idea why it decides to organize the widgets in that order (and apparently we are not forcing the order but rely on gtk+ to organize them automatically)

User avatar
Arbogast
Elite
Posts: 373
Joined: Tue Jul 16, 2013 9:09 am
Location: France

Re: Your GTK UI Setup

Postby Arbogast » Fri Feb 16, 2018 8:11 am

GriffonSpade wrote:AFAIK, GTK 2, 3, and 3.22 all have the same UI widgets.

I don't think so, in my case, GTK3 has super wide scrolling bars on the right widget. Also, the mini-map doesn't change when unlocking and relocking. I don't remember much more as I got totally turned off to that GTK.
Here is two views about the mini-map thing. Notice the size difference. Not so with the GTK3

Widgets before.jpg

Widgets after.jpg


As for the GTK3 image, I would have to download a 32 bit version and install it but only if one of you guys want an image.

User avatar
dunnoob
Elite
Posts: 318
Joined: Mon Dec 23, 2013 3:13 am
Location: Hamburg
Contact:

Re: Your GTK UI Setup

Postby dunnoob » Sat Feb 17, 2018 6:11 pm

New GTK3 odditities vs. old + busted GTK2:
cazfi wrote:I've seen that with some versions of gtk+-3, and only in Windows, I think. No idea why it decides to organize the widgets in that order (and apparently we are not forcing the order but rely on gtk+ to organize them automatically)

GriffonSpade wrote:Hmm. Mine is GTK3. So, I'm not sure what's going on. :P

Fresh meat for the Gtk minefield. If 2.6.0 just "happens" to offer a GTK2 client for Windows I'll grab that and don't talk about it. :oops:

cazfi
Elite
Posts: 1405
Joined: Tue Jan 29, 2013 6:54 pm

Re: Your GTK UI Setup

Postby cazfi » Sat Feb 17, 2018 6:44 pm

dunnoob wrote:Fresh meat for the Gtk minefield. If 2.6.0 just "happens" to offer a GTK2 client for Windows I'll grab that and don't talk about it. :oops:

There's still gtk2-client for Windows for freeciv-2.6. In freeciv-3.0 gtk2-client still exist to some extend, but Windows builds of it are unlikely (Windows builds switch to using msys2 environment in general, and currently our msys2 environments don't offer gtk2 support). There's no gtk2-client code at all in freeciv-3.1.
Unlike old msys1 environment, msys2 offers gtk+-3.22, so freeciv-3.0 and freeciv-3.1 will provide Windows builds of gtk3.22-client instead of gtk3-client. Current experimental msys2 builds from freeciv-2.6 offer both.