Cruise missiles and Bombers

You can get help here if Freeciv doesn't start on your computer, or if you keep getting fatal errors while playing etc.
jpsm
Veteran

Cruise missiles and Bombers

Post by jpsm »

Cruise missiles and Bombers run out of fuel if travel to some more distant cities. I understood the 2 turns principle but because of it it would be nice if these units travel 2 or 3 times more tile to make it more useful because at the current state it can be only use to wage war at the frontier...
PS: I used a carrier to transport the bomber and received the message "this type of troops cannot take over a city". Please fix it, this is a bug in the ruleset, in real life this type of airplane is used precisely to attack cities!
PS2: I transported a cruise missile through a submarine and I had the same issue...
Ignatus
Elite

Re: Cruise missiles and Bombers

Post by Ignatus »

jpsm wrote:Cruise missiles and Bombers run out of fuel if travel to some more distant cities. I understood the 2 turns principle but because of it it would be nice if these units travel 2 or 3 times more tile to make it more useful because at the current state it can be only use to wage war at the frontier...
Build some airbases. But well, maybe introducing ICBMs and strategical bombers at the end of tech tree would be nice.
PS: I used a carrier to transport the bomber and received the message "this type of troops cannot take over a city". Please fix it, this is a bug in the ruleset, in real life this type of airplane is used precisely to attack cities!
PS2: I transported a cruise missile through a submarine and I had the same issue...
Probably you tried to bombard an empty city. An empty city can be only conquered or nuked, attack and bombard are not allowed. And aviation is poor in occupating cities irl :)
jpsm
Veteran

Post by jpsm »

Ignatus wrote:Build some airbases. But well, maybe introducing ICBMs and strategical bombers at the end of tech tree would be nice.
Sure. When I read names like bomber immediately things like that comes to my mind so I just assumed that it would be possible to attack cities so I wanted to try!
https://duckduckgo.com/?q=air+force+bom ... &ia=images
Other thing that should take note is that US Air force attack countries such as Iraq, Afghanistan that at the other side of the world far from the US. The bomber and stealth comber can only travel few tiles. It would be nice to have a bomber plane able to travel to the other corner of the world (even in a huge map) to wage nuclear war against distant nations like the US Air Force that attack distant nations so the ability to travel many tiles faster is a must. Of course sdi defense or sam battery should be able to defend these attacks because if the means of attack are introduced, means of defense should be available too.

Things from real life that may inspire developers:
https://military.wikia.org/wiki/Aerial_ ... _of_cities
https://hamodia.com/2017/07/24/64-years ... ing-bombs/
cazfi
Elite

Post by cazfi »

See Help->Units->Carrier.
jpsm
Veteran

Post by jpsm »

Ignatus wrote:Build some airbases. But well, maybe introducing ICBMs and strategical bombers at the end of tech tree would be nice.
Name suggestion for new tech: Aerial Warfare.
nef
Elite

Post by nef »

Also note :
Other thing that should take note is that US Air force attack countries such as Iraq, Afghanistan that at the other side of the world far from the US.
These attacks are done from local bases. The B52 has 'only' a range of 7,210 km which is barely 1/3rd the way to the "other side of the world" (20,000 km). Just enough to attack the Soviet Union and not much else. In civ * games I rarely use carriers, and find airbases a complete waste of time. My usual strategy is to bomb cities that I can immediately occupy - that means having logistical support (in particular - grunts.) The way to do this is the the way all real wars are 'played' - take one city and move onto the next thus creating a secure supply line as you go. As far as bombers are concerned in fc I find the easiest thing to do is every turn select all bombers (<shift> x) and use Goto to attack the 'next' city. In ALL recent games I have played the path finder has come up with the goods. The fact that all Civ * cities can host bombers makes this even easier than real life.

In the dim distant past I sometimes had to do a surgical strike on a capital to kill the SS that had been launched. On some of these occasions I did indeed use one (and maybe EVEN TWO) carriers. But even so the key issue is getting the grunts there.