fortress bug

You can get help here if Freeciv doesn't start on your computer, or if you keep getting fatal errors while playing etc.
jpsm
Veteran

fortress bug

Post by jpsm »

AI's units can enter in my fortresses. There's no point to build fortresses if the ai's units can enter in these fortresses...
https://ibb.co/ZxkT6Gw
Alien Valkyrie
Elite

Re: fortress bug

Post by Alien Valkyrie »

The point of a fortress is to boost the defensive capabilities of units inside it – you need to occupy it with troops. If you build a fortress, but then leave it unoccupied, enemies can easily capture it.
~ AVL
jpsm
Veteran

Post by jpsm »

Caedo wrote:The point of a fortress is to boost the defensive capabilities of units inside it – you need to occupy it with troops. If you build a fortress, but then leave it unoccupied, enemies can easily capture it.
Do AIs didn't have upkeep issues with too many soldiers? Ever when I forget to set home to a military unit when found a new city the old city may disbanded it... Are military upkeep cheaper for ais?
Ignatus
Elite

Post by Ignatus »

No, I have seen lots of AI units disbanding in the savegames, but AIs have other foras. Nevertheless, I recommend you to build more cities in the early game and grow them. One mil.unit per city is more than enough at this time to avoid early assault, and then you'll be able to upkeep much more. Good army needs good economy, that's one of the central ideas in this game. And yes, unoccupied fortress is a gift for the enemy; you rarely need to build any fortresses in your land, they are to support your invasion to another nations' territories.