"Ghost moves"

You can get help here if Freeciv doesn't start on your computer, or if you keep getting fatal errors while playing etc.
milsu

"Ghost moves"

Post by milsu »

When I am longer in the game, like more than 500 turns, and especially if there are railroads, at the beginning of a new turn, I see "ghost moves", which are replayed AI moves from the previuos turn. They completely block my computer, for a minute or a two, until they are over, and I can play again.

I've got Freeciv 2.6.2 (GTK+3 client), and Windows 10.
cazfi
Elite

Re: "Ghost moves"

Post by cazfi »

How do you know that they are ghost moves from the previous turn, and not real AI moves of the current turn?
milsu

Post by milsu »

cazfi wrote:How do you know that they are ghost moves from the previous turn, and not real AI moves of the current turn?
Because I use "all players alternate movement". When it is my turn, I see animations from the previous turn repeating.
Hans Lemurson
Veteran

Post by Hans Lemurson »

I wonder if maybe they are moves whose animations were queued up during the AI's turn, and are only just being displayed because of the accumulated animation time from all the units moving was longer than the AI's turn calculations?
Wishes he could convert Civ2's scenarios to FreeCiv...
But instead, he made his own tileset variants, RoundSquare and Sextant-enHANSed, and refuses to play on anything else. Check them out!
louis94
Hardened

Post by louis94 »

Hans Lemurson wrote:I wonder if maybe they are moves whose animations were queued up during the AI's turn, and are only just being displayed because of the accumulated animation time from all the units moving was longer than the AI's turn calculations?
AFAIK animations are not queued, they play right when the packet is parsed and block the parsing.
cazfi
Elite

Post by cazfi »

louis94 wrote:AFAIK animations are not queued, they play right when the packet is parsed and block the parsing.
Not true for 2.6 and later gtk3* clients.
Corbeau
Elite

Post by Corbeau »

cazfi wrote:
louis94 wrote:AFAIK animations are not queued, they play right when the packet is parsed and block the parsing.
Only gtk? Not QT?
--
* Freeciv LongTurn, a community of one-turn-per-day players and developers
* LongTurn Blog - information nexus with stuff and stuff and stuff
* Longturn Discord server; real-time chatting, discussing, quarrelling, trolling, gaslighting...
cazfi
Elite

Post by cazfi »

Corbeau wrote:
cazfi wrote:
Only gtk? Not QT?
I think so. That's a new "frame by frame" (only max one new frame displayed in a round of client main loop, not entire animation) animation mode. For gtk3- and gtk3.22-client it had to be implement as old mode doesn't work with gtk+-3 design. I'm 97% certain it has not been enabled (or even implemented) for Qt-client.
FreeWilly

Post by FreeWilly »

If you allow me the word, my impression is that some work on improvements have rendered application degeneration, which is not really an unknown phenomenon. For instance GTK versions didn't have rendering problems in the past, now they have. I also notice "ghost moves" and I don't think they are enjoyable. If you implement new technology the results have to be evaluated. For instance if there is a queuing happening, then you may need to synchronise other tasks in order to avoid bad synchronicity.