Client hangs on opening

You can get help here if Freeciv doesn't start on your computer, or if you keep getting fatal errors while playing etc.
Beelzebubbles

Client hangs on opening

Post by Beelzebubbles »

Hello, and thank you for entertaining my inquiry.

Just installed Freeciv 2.6.2. on a Windows 7 laptop, Core i3 2.3Ghz, 6 GB RAM, 64 bit OS. It runs swimmingly for a while, but after a few days of play my client goes unresponsive when I try to load a saved game, and shows a "Starting Local Server" message that never resolves. The first few sessions I tried deleting some saved games, but I'm not really sure what the issue is. I've remedied it once by uninstalling and reinstalling, but I'm looking for a more permanent fix. I've tried running the server manually but I'm not sure of what to do here either.

Thanks to anyone with suggestions, it's greatly appreciated.
cazfi
Elite

Re: Client hangs on opening

Post by cazfi »

Which client (which installer package you used)?

Does the server start ok when run manually? Can you connect to it from the client ("Connect to Network Game")?
Falconstone

Post by Falconstone »

Same problem here. Freeciv worked fine for quite a while. Just recently I am having troubles starting the game. My system: Windows 10 Pro on an HP 280 G2 MT, Inter Core i5 6500 CPU, 3.20 GHz, 12 GB Ram.

I have made firewall exemptions for freeciv.

Using freeciv-gtk3.exe doesn't work, no matter whether I start a new game or try to load a saved one: it just shows: starting local server, but nothing ever happens, it just breaks down.

I cannot start the server (freeciv-server.exe) manually as well. If I do, the typical window for the programm opens for less than a second and it closes right away. The taskmanager doesn't show any freeciv programm running ...

What did work was uninstall, reinstall ... then the game starts once. After closing the game it won't restart though.

I wonder what happend; however I do believe it might have something to do was a recent Windows update ...

Any ideas what the problem could be and what I could do?
cazfi
Elite

Post by cazfi »

Falconstone wrote:I cannot start the server (freeciv-server.exe) manually as well. If I do, the typical window for the programm opens for less than a second and it closes right away. The taskmanager doesn't show any freeciv programm running ...
So the problem is in starting the server, not in connecting to it.

Can you open DOS prompt and try to run server in it? Even when freeciv server fails and exits, it won't close the DOS prompt window you run it in, unlike the window it opens itself if you just click the icon. That would allow you to read program output, including the possible error message.

My first guess would be that the network port (5556 by default) that freeciv server wants to bind to listen for client connections is not available for some reason.
Falconstone

Post by Falconstone »

cazfi wrote:My first guess would be that the network port (5556 by default) that freeciv server wants to bind to listen for client connections is not available for some reason.
That was one of my first thoughts, however, if that was the case (for example because port 5556 is occupied by another program), then the reinstalling wouldn't work, right?

I will try the dos prompt idea next time ...