Server "Sort of " Working?

You can get help here if Freeciv doesn't start on your computer, or if you keep getting fatal errors while playing etc.
ScratchMang

Server "Sort of " Working?

Post by ScratchMang »

Hey there,

So I have installed the VM of FreeCiv-Web as per the instructions on the page. The Virtual box comes up as it should, no errors. I've forwarded the port (8080) to the VM's Port (80) and when I point the local machines web browser, or another machine on the network to the Host of the VM I am able to connect to the Server. Everything looks as it should.

However I am unable to start a single player or multiplayer game. When I do I simply get a chat bar at the top of the screen right below the FreeCiv logo and that's it.

So I'm guessing that I'm missing something, I've spent a few hours googling and trying to figure out what's happening but to no avail. So I figured I would come over here and see if someone would be able to give me a push int eh right direction as it were as to what it is I'm missing here? It has to be something obvious :)

This is what I see, but clicking on start game does nothing....
Untitled.png
Thanks in Advance...

Scratch
Corbeau
Elite

Re: Server "Sort of " Working?

Post by Corbeau »

Are you trying to run specifically Freeciv Web for some reason, or you just want to play the game offline? If it's the latter, better use the native client.
--
* Freeciv LongTurn, a community of one-turn-per-day players and developers
* LongTurn Blog - information nexus with stuff and stuff and stuff
* Longturn Discord server; real-time chatting, discussing, quarrelling, trolling, gaslighting...
ScratchMang

Post by ScratchMang »

Trying to Run Freeciv-Web.

It's for a group and there's issues with Client installations and we thought that the Web Version as it only requires a browser would be the best option as it's platform independent and can be played from pretty much anywhere.

Eventually want to make it into a Long turn server too, but for now just want to get the Web Version running if possible.
sveinung
Elite

Post by sveinung »

Hi,

I'm not the best person to help you. I don't run Freeciv-web in a VM. I run it on an old laptop.

With that out of the way: What does the JavaScript console in your browser say?
Wahazar
Elite

Post by Wahazar »

ScratchMang wrote: ...
It's for a group and there's issues with Client installations and we thought that the Web Version as it only requires a browser would be the best option as it's platform independent and can be played from pretty much anywhere...
Try for example https://github.com/zekoz/freeciv/commits/game-mp2 - this is multiplatform freeciv with wasm browser identical with Qt native client, beside this, it is also possible to join using native client.