Local Client Games Won't Start

You can get help here if Freeciv doesn't start on your computer, or if you keep getting fatal errors while playing etc.
VeryVeryLongUsername

Local Client Games Won't Start

Post by VeryVeryLongUsername »

I'm having a small problem when trying to start a local game in any of the clients.

Whenever I try to play a new game, scenario, or load a save, the client freezes over a long time, and it doesn't opens the server. After a while, the client stops trying to start a game, and it displays a message that tells something like "Sorry, you'll have to start a game manually."

This happens in all clients of version 2.5 and 2.6. I tried uninstalling and reinstalling, and opening with both .exe and .cmd files to no avail. Does anyone know the solution to this problem?
This issue is non-existent when playing games online and it only began happening recently, before I could play local games without any issue at all.
Ignatus
Elite

Re: Local Client Games Won't Start

Post by Ignatus »

And can you start local server manually?
VeryVeryLongUsername

Post by VeryVeryLongUsername »

Ignatus wrote:And can you start local server manually?
I don't know how to do that.
Ignatus
Elite

Post by Ignatus »

Look for an icon in the start menu (in Ubuntu, it exists), or just browse the binary installation directory for something like "freeciv-server.exe". It should open connection for a client by default on localhost:5556, that will appear in local game screen if you launch the client and choose connect to a game. To see the possible errors, start in cmd.
gafoxx

Post by gafoxx »

Hi! When i try to open the file freeciv-server.exe, the file closes automatically, so I can´t start a manually game. Do you know why is that?
Thanks!
cazfi
Elite

Post by cazfi »

gafoxx wrote:Hi! When i try to open the file freeciv-server.exe, the file closes automatically, so I can´t start a manually game. Do you know why is that?
Thanks!
Can you run it from DOS prompt, so you get to see what (if any) error message it outputs?
gafoxx

Post by gafoxx »

cazfi wrote:
gafoxx wrote:Hi! When i try to open the file freeciv-server.exe, the file closes automatically, so I can´t start a manually game. Do you know why is that?
Thanks!
Can you run it from DOS prompt, so you get to see what (if any) error message it outputs?
The error messsage says this:

This freeciv server program has support for player authentication, but is not currently being used
invalid string conversion from UTF-8 to CP1252: Illegal byte sequence.
1: No usable WINSOCK.DLL: the operation is completed correctly

invalid string conversion from UTF-8 to CP1252: Illegal byte sequence.
0: Socket failur: the application did not call WSAStartup or an error occurred in WSAStartup
(1 Failed)
2: Host: (null), Port 5556

This is the message
Thanks!