Local Client Games Won't Start

You can get help here if Freeciv doesn't start on your computer, or if you keep getting fatal errors while playing etc.
VeryVeryLongUsername

Local Client Games Won't Start

Postby VeryVeryLongUsername » Tue Jan 22, 2019 4:25 am

I'm having a small problem when trying to start a local game in any of the clients.

Whenever I try to play a new game, scenario, or load a save, the client freezes over a long time, and it doesn't opens the server. After a while, the client stops trying to start a game, and it displays a message that tells something like "Sorry, you'll have to start a game manually."

This happens in all clients of version 2.5 and 2.6. I tried uninstalling and reinstalling, and opening with both .exe and .cmd files to no avail. Does anyone know the solution to this problem?
This issue is non-existent when playing games online and it only began happening recently, before I could play local games without any issue at all.

Ignatus
Veteran

Re: Local Client Games Won't Start

Postby Ignatus » Tue Jan 22, 2019 4:27 am

And can you start local server manually?

VeryVeryLongUsername

Postby VeryVeryLongUsername » Tue Jan 22, 2019 4:31 am

Ignatus wrote:And can you start local server manually?

I don't know how to do that.

Ignatus
Veteran

Postby Ignatus » Tue Jan 22, 2019 4:47 am

Look for an icon in the start menu (in Ubuntu, it exists), or just browse the binary installation directory for something like "freeciv-server.exe". It should open connection for a client by default on localhost:5556, that will appear in local game screen if you launch the client and choose connect to a game. To see the possible errors, start in cmd.