FreeCiv 2.6 on Linux

You can get help here if Freeciv doesn't start on your computer, or if you keep getting fatal errors while playing etc.
lads

FreeCiv 2.6 on Linux

Post by lads »

Hello there,

I compiled FreeCiv 2.6 from the source and installed it on Linux (Ubuntu 18.04). No errors were shown compiling/installing and the GTK start screen is launched correctly from the command line. However, if I click on the buttons to start a new game, start a scenario or load a saved game, nothing happens and the terminal shows the error message:

Code: Select all

1: Failed to connect to spawned server!
I could not find similar errors on the web, so I wonder if anyone can help here.

Thank you for reading.
cazfi
Elite

Re: FreeCiv 2.6 on Linux

Post by cazfi »

Try runnning freeciv-server directly to see if there's some problems in launching it. If you can launch it succesfully, you can then test connecting client to such a server run separately by selecting "Connect to Network Game" and there 'localhost' as the server.
lads

Post by lads »

cazfi wrote:Try runnning freeciv-server directly to see if there's some problems in launching it. If you can launch it succesfully, you can then test connecting client to such a server run separately by selecting "Connect to Network Game" and there 'localhost' as the server.
Thanks for chiming in. I am able to start a new game this way. However, if I save it and quit I will never again be able to restart it.
cazfi
Elite

Post by cazfi »

So the problem is not that server does not work, nor that a firewall prevents client from connecting to it. This leaves the possibility that client cannot find server to launch. What was your configure line like? Did you do 'make install' or do you try to run it from the build directory?
cazfi
Elite

Post by cazfi »

Server commandline parameters '--file' is for loading saved game.
lads

Post by lads »

Hello again.,

I am able to restart a previously saved game using the '--file' argument and then connecting with the client. However note the following:
1. The error reported above is produced regardless of where the programme is initialised (code folder or other).
2. The same error is produced with version 2.5, installed from the Ubuntu Multiverse repository.

This seems to be a more general issue.
Corbeau
Elite

Post by Corbeau »

So, any advice on who do I have to bribe, coerce, threaten and/or bore to death so that 2.6 gets available on Linux Mint repository?

Or, if someone has a relatively simple - or not necessarily simple, but straightforward, something like this - way of installing it manually, please help a fellow player in trouble.

Actually, would this do?
--
* Freeciv LongTurn, a community of one-turn-per-day players and developers
* LongTurn Blog - information nexus with stuff and stuff and stuff
* Longturn Discord server; real-time chatting, discussing, quarrelling, trolling, gaslighting...
cazfi
Elite

Post by cazfi »

Corbeau wrote:if someone has a relatively simple - or not necessarily simple, but straightforward, something like this - way of installing it manually
This should be simpler: http://forum.freeciv.org/f/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=89944 Look for latest script version for you version of Mint (or if not found: tell me which Mint version should be added)
Corbeau
Elite

Post by Corbeau »

Thanks. Continuing there.
--
* Freeciv LongTurn, a community of one-turn-per-day players and developers
* LongTurn Blog - information nexus with stuff and stuff and stuff
* Longturn Discord server; real-time chatting, discussing, quarrelling, trolling, gaslighting...