Server auto-loads tileset that conflicts with custom ruleset and crashes

You can get help here if Freeciv doesn't start on your computer, or if you keep getting fatal errors while playing etc.
vodot
Veteran

Server auto-loads tileset that conflicts with custom ruleset and crashes

Post by vodot »

Hi all, I'm running the gtk3 client on ubuntu 16.04 (in a chroot, on a chromebook!) with a configure+make+run-in-place type of implementation (no make install). I'm trying to get my modded ruleset with extra units (and accompanying tileset) to run. My custom tileset works with the other default rulesets.

Here's what's happening:
- I run fcgui from the terminal
- I open client options and pick my compatible custom tileset (called "resplendent"), no errors
- I start a new game, then pick my custom ruleset (also called "resplendent") in the options
- I get an error saying that sprites for an extra unit cannot be found
- freeciv crashes

I verified that all the tags are correct. Using a default tag for the extra unit works. Then I noticed in the terminal output that freeciv is loading tileset "amplio2", then "resplendent"... and then inexplicably loading tileset "amplio2" again when I select my ruleset. Amplio2, of course, doesn't have my additional unit sprites, and I think that's what's throwing my error.

Is there a "default tileset" feature in rulesets that I'm missing? Why is it unloading my tileset and trying amplio2?
Last edited by vodot on Fri Jul 13, 2018 12:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
vodot
Veteran

Re: Custom expanded ruleset loads incorrect (and incompatible) tileset and crashes

Post by vodot »

alright, this is definitely related to this: http://www.hostedredmine.com/issues/685235.

Update: It looks like I can start a local server with "fcser -r data/resplendent.serv" and then join it from the client; it's just when the client tries to auto-start the server that it pulls the "hidden-auto-switch-to-amplio" that is mentioned in the bug above. Now I'm getting legitimate tileset errors, which is nice for a change. :)