The game became too slow

You can get help here if Freeciv doesn't start on your computer, or if you keep getting fatal errors while playing etc.
milsu

The game became too slow

Post by milsu »

I have a game which usually took couple of minutes for the turn to be done, because it is the map of Europe which is large, and a late stage where there are lots of cities and units, and I have set it to alternate moves and focus on combat, because I want to see what AI players are doing, and it was all ok to me. But, now, it suddenly became stuck, and AI players need more than 15 minutes to be done moving. It happened after my spaceship arrived at Alpha Centaury, so I suspect on that. Or, maybe because of lot of turns, more than 1300 of them so far. I have reinstalled the game, but it's still the same, so probably the save game file is causing this for some reason. I use the version for Ubuntu 16.04.
Alien Valkyrie
Elite

Re: The game became too slow

Post by Alien Valkyrie »

How many AI players are there? I don't think it'll have anything to do with the spaceship, but if you're at the point in a game where you're launching spaceships, i.e. later in the game, when each player has more and bigger cities, the AI starts taking quite a bit of time, and if there's more than a few of them, that can severely slow down the game.
~ AVL
milsu

Post by milsu »

There is me and 15 AI players. This happened suddenly after my spaceship arrived at Alpha Centaury, so I thought it might be connected. What is happening is that each AI player moves with pauses. It moves few units, then pauses, then moves another few units, and then pauses again. Maybe this description can help to figure out what could have caused the problem.
Alien Valkyrie
Elite

Post by Alien Valkyrie »

Well, firstly, yeah, 15 AI players is probably a bit much to handle late-game.

As for them behaving weirdly after a spaceship arrived, can't say I know anything about that, but then again, I've never really looked much into the AI code. I could start to speculate, but most of it seems to only make much sense if the change in behavior came about when you started the spaceship, not when it arrived.
~ AVL