MacOSX Playing Error? [Sierra 10.12.6]

You can get help here if Freeciv doesn't start on your computer, or if you keep getting fatal errors while playing etc.
Paladinluke

MacOSX Playing Error? [Sierra 10.12.6]

Post by Paladinluke »

I've been trying to play Freeciv on my Mac for quite some time. When I use the "freeciv2.6.0b2.pkg" the installation goes fine, but as soon as I try to start the game I get a crash report.

Code: Select all

Termination Reason:    DYLD, [0x1] Library missing

Application Specific Information:
dyld: launch, loading dependent libraries

Dyld Error Message:
  Library not loaded: /usr/local/opt/libvorbis/lib/libvorbisfile.3.dylib
  Referenced from: /usr/local/opt/sdl_mixer/lib/libSDL_mixer-1.2.0.dylib
  Reason: image not found
I've already tried deleting the usr/local/opt/libvorbis file from my computer, as shown in another forum post (http://forum.freeciv.org/f/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=89954), but nothing changes. The file also seems to reappear in the location if I'm not looking in the /opt/ domain.
Does anyone know where the error is occuring, and how to fix it? I'll post the whole error log if needed.
Dino the Dinosore
Hardened

Re: MacOSX Playing Error? [Sierra 10.12.6]

Post by Dino the Dinosore »

Another fix was required, there are now new versions of the installers. You need to delete the folder
/usr/local/opt/ and re-run the new installer.
Paladinluke

Post by Paladinluke »

Hello. The error is still happening when I delete the opt file.

Dyld Error Message:
  Library not loaded: /usr/local/opt/libvorbis/lib/libvorbisfile.3.dylib
  Referenced from: /usr/local/opt/sdl_mixer/lib/libSDL_mixer-1.2.0.dylib
  Reason: no suitable image found.  Did find:
	/usr/local/opt/libvorbis/lib/libvorbisfile.3.dylib: stat() failed with errno=20
Upon inspection, the opt file reappears after I delete it. It appears in /usr/local during the installation of the program. When I delete the file from the location immediately after it installs, I get a similar error message.

Dyld Error Message:
  Library not loaded: /usr/local/opt/sdl_mixer/lib/libSDL_mixer-1.2.0.dylib
  Referenced from: /Applications/freeciv.app/Contents/MacOS/freeciv-gtk2
  Reason: image not found
What seems to be the cause of the problem now? By the way, I am using the 2.6.0b2 installer. If a newer one has been uploaded to Dropbox, please supply me with the link.
Dino the Dinosore
Hardened

This is weird - the "errno=20" means "Not a directory", well duh it's looking for a library, which is a file, not a directory. And it says it did find it! On my machine that library file is there and everything works. But that classic programmer line "it works for me" won't help you. I'll try to dig some more.

BTW- /usr/local/opt is a directory, not a file. The installer creates that directory and fills it with stuff, and you only need to delete it before re-running the installer. Deleting opt after the install will break things. The Dropbox link has not changed, the latest version of the installer there was put up on 4/4/18.
Dino the Dinosore
Hardened

Arg - why does this have to be so difficult. Turns out the problem is that one of the pieces in the filename path is a symlink (alias) to another directory, and when it's copied to another machine it stops working. Why? I don't know, maybe some Unix expert can explain it. But I figured out a workaround, and there are now new installer packages to try, same Dropbox link -
https://www.dropbox.com/sh/buypyjprsbvq ... ZGrSa?dl=0