trying to play 2.5.10 on window client/server, can't connect

You can get help here if Freeciv doesn't start on your computer, or if you keep getting fatal errors while playing etc.
drgerg
Veteran

trying to play 2.5.10 on window client/server, can't connect

Post by drgerg »

I just downloaded the Windows 2.5.10 GTK to my Win10 (64bit) machine. I installed from my limited user account, but running the install executable with "open as administrator"

When I start the server (first), the console shows that 5 Easy AI opponents have been added, then "now accepting new client connections on port 5556".
So I start the client. I click on "Connect to Network Game". On the Local Area Network tab, I can see my "server" listed. I select it, and click on the Connect button.

I receive the message "A connection attempt failed because the connected party did not properly respond after a period of time, or established connection failed because connected host has failed to respond". No message appeared in the terminal window for the server instance.

Any ideas on what I need to do so that my client on my Windows box will talk to the server on the same windows box?

Update (more info but no solution): Control Panel\All Control Panel Items\Windows Defender Firewall\Allowed apps shows both freeciv-gtk2 and freeciv-server as being checked and and allowed to access to the private network.
drgerg
Veteran

Re: trying to play 2.5.10 on window client/server, can't connect

Post by drgerg »

installed telnet on windows
I could telnet on port 5556 and could tell that it was waiting for a response, in contrast to trying to telnet to port 5557, which said connection denied.

Will repeat with 2.5.11 when available and see what happens
drgerg
Veteran

Re: trying to play 2.5.10 on window client/server, can't connect

Post by drgerg »

figured out my issue, in the GTK2 client, the value in the field labeled servername wasn't localhost. I changed value in the field to localhost, then the client could connect to the server.

Another way I could have solved it was to edit the windows\system32\drivers\etc\hosts file (I think that's where the hosts file is), and added an entry that garbage value in my field labeled server name and the correct ipaddress, likely to be 192.168.0.n or 192.168.1.n where n is a number between 1 and 254.