animation prb (gtk2)

You can get help here if Freeciv doesn't start on your computer, or if you keep getting fatal errors while playing etc.
meynaf
Hardened

animation prb (gtk2)

Post by meynaf »

Hi,

I have setup the anims to be relative slow (anim speed = 200) so that it more or less matches my old playing habits.
However, it sometimes happens that with long paths (e.g. 30-40 tiles goto on railroad, or when many units move at the end of turn) that the animation suddenly stops, the screens gets blur for a second (with busy mouse pointer), and then the unit is placed at destination.

This is for gtk2 client windows version, as shipped with release 2.5.9.
Seems more or less random, but occurs relatively often.

Another thing, any popup window remains blank (white) 'til units have moved (and, worse, hides them).

Are these issues known ?
Any easy solution for me to fix this ?
Alien Valkyrie
Elite

Re: animation prb (gtk2)

Post by Alien Valkyrie »

Both of these have happened for me as well. The first one, I assume, is due to an OS thing where windows tries to communicate with the game every so often (to make sure the application still responds), and while the game is running all the movements from the turn change, it doesn't respond for a bit, so windows thinks it got stuck. (This is speculation though.)

Regarding the second one, I'm not too familiar with that part of the Freeciv code, but since the client seems able to hold back the rest of the action selection dialogs until the previous one is closed, I'd reckon it should be possible to make it hold back the first one until all automatic movement is concluded.
~ AVL
meynaf
Hardened

Post by meynaf »

Windows by itself will not blur a window that stops responding, it will just not be refreshed anymore. At least, on any other program that occasionnally freezes for a while.

The client does not appear to hold back any dialog - they're opened all together, just not shown when hidden behind.
Which gives another minor problem, most recent messages are read first because they appear later and are on top of the others.

While i'm at it, it happened also twice to me that the city popup no longer displays properly, showing either nothing or partial contents when the mouse hovers on it. Only occurs after a very long (and busy) play time in a single session.
First time i tried to open it again and again, until the client ultimately froze - this time completely, had to kill it with task manager. Hopefully the server noticed and saved the game.
Second time i just saved, quitted and restarted it, all fine.
I suspect some kind of small resource leak here.
dunnoob
Elite

Post by dunnoob »

meynaf wrote:Windows by itself will not blur a window that stops responding, it will just not be refreshed anymore.
NAK, Windows 7 on my box definitely does this, even for unresponsive explorer windows, not only for freeciv. It's some state between busy + crash, where busy is indicated by the cursor: If I still click on the window it's blurred, and if I ignore that and click again I get the crash popup.

Generally not by itself, as you said, it needs a click, but with freeciv I sometimes see it for a second "by itself" for a new city popup, i.e., after I clicked somewhere to get a city popup.
meynaf
Hardened

Post by meynaf »

It happens without me clicking anywhere...
Alien Valkyrie
Elite

Post by Alien Valkyrie »

meynaf wrote:The client does not appear to hold back any dialog - they're opened all together, just not shown when hidden behind.
Which gives another minor problem, most recent messages are read first because they appear later and are on top of the others.
Really? Maybe we're talking about different dialogs. I'm not talking about messages, but about Diplomat/Caravan "Choose your action" dialogs. Those only appear when the previous one is closed, since they appear as part of a move, but in synchronous phasemode, they can appear right after the turn starts, before the AI players have made their moves, and then stick around blocking vision while those are processed.
~ AVL
meynaf
Hardened

Post by meynaf »

Caedo wrote: Really? Maybe we're talking about different dialogs. I'm not talking about messages, but about Diplomat/Caravan "Choose your action" dialogs. Those only appear when the previous one is closed, since they appear as part of a move, but in synchronous phasemode, they can appear right after the turn starts, before the AI players have made their moves, and then stick around blocking vision while those are processed.
I didn't pay much attention to these, as I usually have a single one of them among many pending popups ;)
But indeed, didn't think about it but it's possible.
meynaf
Hardened

Post by meynaf »

Actually this problem is worse than it looks.
It's not only about missing the action. I've just discovered that some messages can be lost during the process ! Image