2.6 beta1 Modpack Installer

You can get help here if Freeciv doesn't start on your computer, or if you keep getting fatal errors while playing etc.
User avatar
GriffonSpade
Elite
Posts: 546
Joined: Mon Apr 29, 2013 4:41 pm

2.6 beta1 Modpack Installer

Postby GriffonSpade » Wed Dec 27, 2017 4:45 pm

When downloading some of the things, (At least Alien ruleset), it appears to download everything, but then freezes with a
Failed to fetch https://raw.githubusercontent.com/freec ... rs.ruleset: SSL certificate problem: unable to get local issuer certificate.

This is with GTK3, but Qt also appears to freeze (but does not have this message at the bottom). Additionally, all the files are blanks, despite existing with the right names.

On Windows 7.

Amplio: water.spec
Alien: teamgladiators.ruleset
Alio: tunnels.spec

German States 1871 has a different error:
Failed to fetch https://modpack.freeciv.org/scenarios/X ... .5.sav.bz2: The requested URL returned error: 404 not found

Anyone know what this issue is?

User avatar
dunnoob
Elite
Posts: 315
Joined: Mon Dec 23, 2013 3:13 am
Location: Hamburg
Contact:

Re: 2.6 beta1 Modpack Installer

Postby dunnoob » Wed Dec 27, 2017 11:12 pm

GriffonSpade wrote:https://raw.githubusercontent.com/freeciv/freeciv/2_6/data/alien/nation/teamgladiators.ruleset
Odd, clicking on your link here ended up as 404 for me, navigating to it from GitHub to raw worked for me. There could be limitations for "downloads from raw.githubusercontent.com", you should anyway find complete modpack content on modpack.freeciv.org, the line...

Code: Select all

baseURL = "https://raw.githubusercontent.com/freeciv/freeciv/S2_6/data"
...in the 2.6/alio.modpack is shaky. Boils down to "which server is gonna pay for downloads", raw.githubusercontent.com is entitled to opt out when they say so. They could also throw random errors as some kind of "I'm not a robot" captcha, and the modpack-installer definitely is a robot. :lol:

GriffonSpade wrote:German States 1871 has a different error:
Failed to fetch https://modpack.freeciv.org/scenarios/X ... .5.sav.bz2: The requested URL returned error: 404 not found
Correct answer, http://modpack.freeciv.org/scenarios/XYZ does not exist, and the line...

Code: Select all

baseURL = "http://modpack.freeciv.org/scenarios/XYZ"
...in the 2.6/german-states-1871-1.5.modpack is wrong. Or more likely, the line is as it should be, but the XYZ folder is AWOL.

Updated later, JFTR, the XYZ issue is now HRM#721925, and the alio issue is now HRM#721926.

User avatar
JTN
Elite
Posts: 402
Joined: Wed Jan 30, 2013 12:15 am

Re: 2.6 beta1 Modpack Installer

Postby JTN » Mon Jan 01, 2018 5:50 pm

GriffonSpade wrote:When downloading some of the things, (At least Alien ruleset), it appears to download everything, but then freezes with a
Failed to fetch https://raw.githubusercontent.com/[...]: SSL certificate problem: unable to get local issuer certificate.

Rats. I think this is a Windows-specific issue, and I suspected it would happen; see comments in hrm #656477.
I suspect the problem is that the web client library (Curl) that we ship in Windows builds is too old (and has outdated CA certificates or something like that); to successfully do https one does have to keep more current than http, but github only offers https. (And with the way we build Windows builds for 2.6, it is not necessarily easy to upgrade our client library.)

GriffonSpade wrote:This is with GTK3, but Qt also appears to freeze (but does not have this message at the bottom).

I've not reproduced a freeze or crash.

GriffonSpade wrote:Additionally, all the files are blanks, despite existing with the right names.

I've reproduced this.

dunnoob wrote:Odd, clicking on your link here ended up as 404 for me, navigating to it from GitHub to raw worked for me.

No mystery; the two URLs are different; GriffonSpade's has "2_6" instead of "S2_6". Since the files on the server mention "S2_6", I'll assume this was just a transcription error by GriffonSpade.

User avatar
GriffonSpade
Elite
Posts: 546
Joined: Mon Apr 29, 2013 4:41 pm

Re: 2.6 beta1 Modpack Installer

Postby GriffonSpade » Mon Jan 01, 2018 10:42 pm

JTN wrote:
GriffonSpade wrote:This is with GTK3, but Qt also appears to freeze (but does not have this message at the bottom).

I've not reproduced a freeze or crash.
dunnoob wrote:Odd, clicking on your link here ended up as 404 for me, navigating to it from GitHub to raw worked for me.

No mystery; the two URLs are different; GriffonSpade's has "2_6" instead of "S2_6". Since the files on the server mention "S2_6", I'll assume this was just a transcription error by GriffonSpade.


Yeah, it was a mistake in the transcription. (Note that I deleted a bunch of the extraneous parts of the image to reduce filesize)

error.png