Themes

You can get help here if Freeciv doesn't start on your computer, or if you keep getting fatal errors while playing etc.
Chrisk

Themes

Post by Chrisk »

After making a fresh install of Debian Stretch, XFCE Desktop and Freeciv 2.5.6 Gtk3 from stable repository, tooltips on the map, for tiles and units, are grey text on black background, and somehow unreadable. Changing themes in xfce or in the client options don't make any difference yet.

Christian
Chrisk

Re: Themes

Post by Chrisk »

I've made some progress, by installing, explicitly, gtk3-engines-xfce, xfwm4-themes, and some other xfce4-* packages in Stretch.

If I now choose an xfce* theme, I have (wonderful..) very clear tooltipps w/ black text on light grey. Alas, at the same time, the frames around (all) buttons and menues are gone, looking strange at least.

Going back to another theme (adwaita e.g.), the frames are back, but the tooltipps vary from barely readable up to pure black..

Christian
cazfi
Elite

Post by cazfi »

There have been several fixes to drawing those popups since 2.5.6. For example 2.5.8 had "(Gtk3) Fix the middle-click tile info box having a transparent background and thus being unreadable on some installations. HRM#656549" ( http://freeciv.wikia.com/wiki/NEWS-2.5.8 ). Latest fixes have gone in since 2.5.9 was released.
Chrisk

Post by Chrisk »

Ok, I now have freeciv-client-gtk3, freeciv-data, and freeciv-server installed, from the Debian stretch-backports repository, which represent version 2.5.9.

The tooltipps problem is gone.

The missing frames problem still exists, with nearly every XFCE4 theme, let the "Adwaita" theme being the only one working with acceptable design.

Thank you.

Any chance to get the minor number update into stable?

Christian