How to set passwords for players when setting up a game?

You can get help here if Freeciv doesn't start on your computer, or if you keep getting fatal errors while playing etc.
Corbeau
Elite

How to set passwords for players when setting up a game?

Post by Corbeau »

What the title says. If I run a server, how to set it up so that people connect to it with a password? I checked around and databases are mentioned. Is it actually possible to do it with the standard Freeciv server?
--
* Freeciv LongTurn, a community of one-turn-per-day players and developers
* LongTurn Blog - information nexus with stuff and stuff and stuff
* Longturn Discord server; real-time chatting, discussing, quarrelling, trolling, gaslighting...
sveinung
Elite

Re: How to set passwords for players when setting up a game?

Post by sveinung »

You need a Freeciv server with fcdb support. Type fcdb on the command line. If it says the support was deactivated at compile time your Freeciv server doesn't support it. Even if your Freeciv server has fcdb you still have to activate fcdb when the server starts. This is done with the Freeciv server's --auth command line option (you will have to specify a database too). You won't need an external database if your build includes SQLite in the Freeciv server itself.

Read the documentation for more information. (Trust it over this post.)
Corbeau
Elite

Post by Corbeau »

Thanks.

"Freeciv database script deactivated at compile time."

So I guess that's it.

I played a few games with a few dozens of AIs and outside of the TC the thing was running smoothly (and took around a minute and a half to run the TC itself) so I guess I could run a multiplayer no-AI game since my computer is switched on the whole time anyway. But this is a show stopper so I guess no cigar. Thanks anyway.
--
* Longturn Discord server; real-time chatting, discussing, quarrelling, trolling, gaslighting...
Corbeau
Elite

Post by Corbeau »

Ok, the rule of my life: as son as I declare that I'm unable to do or find something or that I've reached a dead end, a hidden door opens.

So, it turns out that I have a server that is able to support fcdb. The only problem is that I have literally ZERO knowledge of databases and when starting it, the server is asking me to specify the database file.

So, my question is: does this have to be some specially formatted file or just a standard empty template that the server will format according to its needs? And, whichever the answer is, how do I get/find/make that file?

I checked the documentation, but it presumes that whoever is reading it has a clue about the whole thing which is apparently not me.
--
Corbeau
Elite

Post by Corbeau »

Ok, I'm an idiot. The documentation *is* clear. Sorry for spamming. Problem solved.
--