bugs in 2.5.3 and 2.5.4

You can get help here if Freeciv doesn't start on your computer, or if you keep getting fatal errors while playing etc.
fomalhaut
Posts: 36
Joined: Thu Feb 13, 2014 8:24 am
Location: Japan

bugs in 2.5.3 and 2.5.4

Postby fomalhaut » Sun Apr 24, 2016 11:08 am

I'm making new ruleset and I've found several bugs or inappropriate messages.
Of course I know Gna! but I don't know the answer for Antispam test.
("What Git command do you use to duplicate a sheep?")

The following bugs has occurred in ver 2.5.3.

1. If you set "illness_pollution_factor" as 256 in game.ruleset, the amounts of pollution becomes 0.
error message : Trying to put 256 into 8 bits; it will result 0 at receiving side.

2. Exchanging of world map doesn't update city size.

3. Spy can't empty the granary by poisoning the water supply.

4. If sea unit is inside a city, their winning percentage against enemy units is always displayed as 0%.

5. The explanatory text of 'techlost_donor' is inadequate.
"If you give an invention via a treaty..."
This should also include war or stealing.

6. When spy steals technology in experimental ruleset, unavailable advanced techs are displayed in the selecting list.
Spy should only select root techs in the same way as a diplomatic meeting.

7. In some messages, "Leader" is not translated.
e.g. 'Unable to defend Leader, *** has lost the game.'

8. If Air units have 0 movement points, we can't unload them in the outside of the city.
But I want to add "Nuclear Bomb" to my ruleset and drop it.
Last edited by fomalhaut on Sun Jun 05, 2016 3:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
Caedo
Elite
Posts: 476
Joined: Sun Feb 10, 2013 10:21 pm
Location: Stuttgart, Germany

Re: bugs in 2.5.3

Postby Caedo » Sun Apr 24, 2016 1:19 pm

fomalhaut wrote:1. If you set "illness_pollution_factor" as 256 in game.ruleset, the amounts of pollution becomes 0.
error message : Trying to put 256 into 8 bits; it will result 0 at receiving side.

That's not a bug, that's just how computers work: A byte (the smallest reasonably usable unit of information) can contain values from 0 to 255.
fomalhaut wrote:8. If Air units have 0 movement points, we can't unload them in the outside of the city.
But I want to add "Nuclear Bomb" to my ruleset and drop it.

"It's not a bug, it's a feature", though I think this is annoying as well. I'll create a ticket for it.
EDIT: Here it is: patch #7144

Also, the command is just "clone".
~S.C. L.

fomalhaut
Posts: 36
Joined: Thu Feb 13, 2014 8:24 am
Location: Japan

Re: bugs in 2.5.3

Postby fomalhaut » Sun Apr 24, 2016 4:24 pm

Caedo wrote:That's not a bug, that's just how computers work: A byte (the smallest reasonably usable unit of information) can contain values from 0 to 255.

But in /common/game.h , it's set like this.
#define RS_DEFAULT_ILLNESS_POLLUTION_PCT 50
#define RS_MIN_ILLNESS_POLLUTION_PCT 0
#define RS_MAX_ILLNESS_POLLUTION_PCT 500

From this, I thought the maximum value was 500.
bug? or not bug?

Caedo wrote:EDIT: Here it is: patch #7144

Thanks!

cazfi
Elite
Posts: 1713
Joined: Tue Jan 29, 2013 6:54 pm

Re: bugs in 2.5.3

Postby cazfi » Sun Apr 24, 2016 9:11 pm

fomalhaut wrote:1. If you set "illness_pollution_factor" as 256 in game.ruleset, the amounts of pollution becomes 0.
error message : Trying to put 256 into 8 bits; it will result 0 at receiving side.

What happens here is that the value is not sent to the client. The server should still use correct value when determining if illness hits the city. I'll open a bug about the network protocol issue.

cazfi
Elite
Posts: 1713
Joined: Tue Jan 29, 2013 6:54 pm

Re: bugs in 2.5.3

Postby cazfi » Sun Apr 24, 2016 9:36 pm

cazfi wrote:
fomalhaut wrote:1. If you set "illness_pollution_factor" as 256 in game.ruleset, the amounts of pollution becomes 0.
error message : Trying to put 256 into 8 bits; it will result 0 at receiving side.

What happens here is that the value is not sent to the client. The server should still use correct value when determining if illness hits the city. I'll open a bug about the network protocol issue.

-> bug #24607

cazfi
Elite
Posts: 1713
Joined: Tue Jan 29, 2013 6:54 pm

Re: bugs in 2.5.3

Postby cazfi » Sun Apr 24, 2016 9:50 pm

fomalhaut wrote:7. In some messages, "Leader" is not translated.
e.g. 'Unable to defend Leader, *** has lost the game.

-> bug #24608

cazfi
Elite
Posts: 1713
Joined: Tue Jan 29, 2013 6:54 pm

Re: bugs in 2.5.3

Postby cazfi » Sun Apr 24, 2016 9:56 pm

fomalhaut wrote:5. The explanatory text of 'techlost_donor' is inadequate.
"If you give an invention via a treaty..."
This should also include war or stealing.
Well, the text is correct. Or would you want it to explain that "... but this does not apply to techs another player steals from you"?

cazfi
Elite
Posts: 1713
Joined: Tue Jan 29, 2013 6:54 pm

Re: bugs in 2.5.3

Postby cazfi » Sun Apr 24, 2016 10:02 pm

cazfi wrote:
fomalhaut wrote:5. The explanatory text of 'techlost_donor' is inadequate.
"If you give an invention via a treaty..."
This should also include war or stealing.
Well, the text is correct. Or would you want it to explain that "... but this does not apply to techs another player steals from you"?
Sorry, you are right. Checking the source code, it does apply to any kind of tech transfer nowadays (I just remembered that the feature was originally specifically for penalizing excessive tech trading in multiplayer)

cazfi
Elite
Posts: 1713
Joined: Tue Jan 29, 2013 6:54 pm

Re: bugs in 2.5.3

Postby cazfi » Sun Apr 24, 2016 10:13 pm

fomalhaut wrote:5. The explanatory text of 'techlost_donor' is inadequate.
"If you give an invention via a treaty..."
This should also include war or stealing.

-> bug #24609

fomalhaut
Posts: 36
Joined: Thu Feb 13, 2014 8:24 am
Location: Japan

Re: bugs in 2.5.3

Postby fomalhaut » Sat May 14, 2016 5:27 am

fomalhaut wrote:3. Spy can't empty the granary by poisoning the water supply.

4. If sea unit is inside a city, their winning percentage against enemy units is always displayed as 0%.


screenshot:
Attachments
34.jpg