Easy download button for noobs

You can get help here if Freeciv doesn't start on your computer, or if you keep getting fatal errors while playing etc.
jd3

Easy download button for noobs

Post by jd3 »

I hope I'm posting in the right place and not offending anyone. Just some constructive criticism for the website.

As a longtime freeciv player and technical noob, I'd love to see a clear and simple "Download" link that just gives you the latest version straight away.

ENORMOUS thanks to everyone in the community who has created such a great game. I realize that source code, binaries, clients, compiling, mirrors etc. must all be necessary tools (I honestly have no clue) that make this project possible for all of you who do the heavy lifting of making the game work. But for poor clueless saps like me who just want to download and play the game, it's nearly impossible to figure out WHAT to click. :?:

Would it be possible to add a button on the "Download" page that just says "Click here to download for Mac" and "Click here to download for WIndows"? Having so many choices, even including a .bz2 file type, is a bit baffling for your average non-developer user. No need to remove any of the existing functionality. Just add a noob-friendly shortcut to the good stuff.

The current options on the page may seem obvious to many of the more tech-savvy people here, but I promise you the "Download" page can appear completely baffling to others! No clue which link to click.

(No worries, in the end I guessed right, got 2.5.3 and installed it. Running fine!) :D

Many thanks again to all for this great game!