Can't connect

You can get help here if Freeciv doesn't start on your computer, or if you keep getting fatal errors while playing etc.
robfinch

Can't connect

Post by robfinch »

I get the following message trying to run the client:
$ ./fcgui
Unable to find client executable: freeciv.exe
Searching for freeciv clients ...
... using ./client/freeciv-gtk3.exe
Running ./client/freeciv-gtk3.exe
2: Didn't find the option file.
Unable to init server: Could not connect to 127.0.0.1: Connection refused

(freeciv-gtk3:9128): Gtk-WARNING **: cannot open display:
This is running under Cygwin on a Windows 10 system. It looks like there may be a problem with X as well, but that's the next problem.
I don't see a Windows Firewall blocked message so I'm pretty sure its not blocked by the firewall.
Where is the source code to connect ? I tried to grep it, but it didn't find the message.
Is there a way to run the server in the background ? I'd like to try running the client and server in the same shell to see what happens.
cazfi
Elite

Re: Can't connect

Post by cazfi »

Are you trying to "Connect to Network Game" from the client to server you have launched separately, or are you trying to "Start a New Game" ( / Start Scenario Game / Load Saved Game ) -> fork server from the client?

Can you test if your client can connect outside servers (since you are using S2_5 code, there's public servers that the metaserver tab should show, same ones you can confirm from http://meta.freeciv.org/ (h1.jasminek.net 5557 might be the best for your testing)
robfinch

Post by robfinch »

I've launched the server separately from the client. The server seems to run okay (there's no error messages). I'd like to try running games locally first.
I can't test the client metaserver access because the client doesn't start. The other problem is the 'cannot open display'.
It seems strange that it can't access the local server at 127.0.0.1. It's on the same machine!
I had thought maybe it had something to do with running two separate shells.
robfinch

Post by robfinch »

Hurray! I got the game to run locally. I had to run xinit then run the game.
But now the issue is it shows up in a little-wee window in the centre of the screen. Is there a way to make the window much bigger ?
I tried clicking the full-screen option but it didn't do anything.