Build Problem

You can get help here if Freeciv doesn't start on your computer, or if you keep getting fatal errors while playing etc.
robfinch

Build Problem

Post by robfinch »

Hi,

I'm trying to build freeciv 2.5.2 under Cygwin and I'm running into a problem with the following two macros which aren't defined:
AC_DISABLE_SHARED and AC_PROG_LIBTOOL

It looks like the LIBTOOL var isn't defined as anything.

The configure script returns "7678: AC_DISABLED_SHARED: command not found"
The same for AC_PROG_LIBTOOL

I installed libtool and ran libtoolize.

How do I incorporate these macros into the config script ?

I'm a Civ fan and I'm developing my own map generator which is based on a fracture map / landmasses.
cazfi
Elite

Re: Build Problem

Post by cazfi »

Are you building from the tarball release, or from freeciv svn checkout?

Latter needs additional bootstrapping that is already done for the tarball.

Since you're having those macros not defined, it sounds like you're building from the svn checkout (or in any case you have done the bootstrapping yourself, and got the broken results). This might be as simple as you not having libtoolize installed, but that's something autogen.sh should have complained about when you run it.

If you are building from the tarball, but the bootstrapping we've done as part of the release is not compatible with your system (that's a bug, of course, those bootstrapping results should not be system-specific). I think I encountered such a problem when I last time tried to make cygwin build. (failed to now find the bug ticket I created back then)
If that's the issue, rebootstrapping by running ./autogen.sh script might help.
cazfi
Elite

Post by cazfi »

cazfi wrote:If you are building from the tarball, but the bootstrapping we've done as part of the release is not compatible with your system (that's a bug, of course, those bootstrapping results should not be system-specific). I think I encountered such a problem when I last time tried to make cygwin build. (failed to now find the bug ticket I created back then)
After some more searching, here it is: bug #19893 Seems more complicated than what I remembered. Some of it has been fixed since, I think, so take everything in that ticket with a grain of salt. However, it would help if you could give an update about the current situation.
cazfi
Elite

Post by cazfi »

Note that if it seems that you can't get forward with Cygwin, you could consider using msys environments that we use in building freeciv releases.
See comments on top of win32/installer/Makefile about installing that environment.

Note2: I'm working on to get freeciv to build on msys2 environment, but that's far from a working solution.
T1000

Post by T1000 »

robfinch - if you even install everything correctly, building freeciv will be many times slower than on linux ( seems 'Entering directory XXX' takes a lot of time there),
so easiest and best solution is just run it in on linux in virtual machine.
robfinch

Post by robfinch »

I got past the AC_PROG_LIB and AC_DISABLED_SHARED undefined problem. I un-installed and re-installed several different versions of libtool. Ran some installation scripts for libtool manually.
libtool is all over the place.
Now make complains about a version incompatibility of the libtool (2.4.6) it's trying to run and the libtool that ./configure generated (2.4.2).
Where does the configure script get the libtool from ? I've been trying to figure out which macro out of the dozen or so different versions on the system is being used.
There's no version numbers noted in the scripts themselves, so how do you tell which one is which ?
There are a number of libtool.m4 files which I'm assuming is a macro for libtool. I'm guessing that it's not using the files associated with different applications. So I tried looking under /usr/share
Is there an easy way to "clean up" the libtool ?
cazfi
Elite

Post by cazfi »

Relying on the information on that bug ticket only (can't remember anything more myself): Try 'libtoolize -f -c' that should forcibly copy m4-macros of your version of libtool to the freeciv tree.
robfinch

Post by robfinch »

I tried that and it didn't work. But I got thing compiled now. I just copied libtool from the bin directory to the freeciv directory and it seemed to work.
Both the server.exe and client.exe files got built. And running fcser seems to work. But running the client give me Win error 487. Connection to 127.0.0.1 refused.
Which is a different problem altogether.
cazfi
Elite

Post by cazfi »

cazfi wrote:Note2: I'm working on to get freeciv to build on msys2 environment, but that's far from a working solution.
I'm not going to make that to work on freeciv S2_5, but with S2_6 (& TRUNK) I've got, currently with very specific configuration (--without-readline, --disable-nls ... ) and specific msys2 packet selection:
- Freeciv builds without errors
- Both server and client (gtk3) start up fine
- Server commandline works (that's what --without-readline in the configure was for)
- Client can't connect to server
- I've not tested with external client if server can receive connections