Installing FreeCiv from Linux repository

You can get help here if Freeciv doesn't start on your computer, or if you keep getting fatal errors while playing etc.
Corbeau
Elite

Re: Installing FreeCiv from Linux repository

Post by Corbeau »

Thanks for the procedure.
cazfi wrote:I'd like to ask why you want install self built freeciv, as I suspect there's some confusion behind your request.
Yes, it is possible, even probable, that there is confusion somewhere along the line. Basically, my last post was caused by my reading that the server needs to be installed in order to be able to start with the password authentication setting (and by not being able to start it with the server that wasn't installed, but only "built"). What that exactly means is beyond me. I am completely blind in all this and simply following directions to the letter, not really knowing what they mean. So yes, plenty of room for confusion :)

In the meantime, I found out that setting up a server that people outside my LAN would able to connect to comes with a whole new set of problems - not Freeciv related - so I'm currently investigating other possible directions.

Also, the version I currently have installed through Install Manager is 2.5.1 so I was hoping to upgrade, but if there are downsides, I may reconsider. Starting 2.5.7 from a directory is not such a bad option, basically. Again, thanks for the recipe and advice.
--
* Freeciv LongTurn, a community of one-turn-per-day players and developers
* LongTurn Blog - information nexus with stuff and stuff and stuff
* Longturn Discord server; real-time chatting, discussing, quarrelling, trolling, gaslighting...
Corbeau
Elite

Post by Corbeau »

JTN wrote:I think either approach would make us responsible for deploying security updates to anything we depend on, as well as our own software.
Actually, if I got it right (and it's very possible that I didn't), I think tis is wrong. Suppose you use package X (basically an external resource) in creating a binary for installing Freeciv. If I got it right (and...) you are saying that, when package X is upgraded at the source, Freeciv would be responsible for upgrading it on all computers that acquired it through Freeciv? I don't think this is true. Computers everywhere are full of outdated software and nobody in their right mind can be expected to be responsible for all of it. Also, if the whole shebang is working, maybe it would actually stop working if you update only one component.

But, again, it's possible that I got everything wrong so please excuse me :D
--
* Freeciv LongTurn, a community of one-turn-per-day players and developers
* LongTurn Blog - information nexus with stuff and stuff and stuff
* Longturn Discord server; real-time chatting, discussing, quarrelling, trolling, gaslighting...
cazfi
Elite

Post by cazfi »

Corbeau wrote:Basically, my last post was caused by my reading that the server needs to be installed in order to be able to start with the password authentication setting
Ok, if that's your use-case, it makes sense to install freeciv, and it's also enough to install it to a custom prefix like my example did. With giving different prefixes for different versions, you can install them parallel.