How to load serversettings/gameoptions once you saved them?

You can get help here if Freeciv doesn't start on your computer, or if you keep getting fatal errors while playing etc.
Corbeau
Elite

How to load serversettings/gameoptions once you saved them?

Post by Corbeau »

So,

FreeCiv client.

before starting, I sett all kinds of stuff, tech box, map topography etc.

There is a "Save" button which saves everything I did into a file.

How do I load those setting file later, when starting another game? There is no "Load" button and I haven't found the particular command in the server command lists.
--
* Freeciv LongTurn, a community of one-turn-per-day players and developers
* LongTurn Blog - information nexus with stuff and stuff and stuff
* Longturn Discord server; real-time chatting, discussing, quarrelling, trolling, gaslighting...
cazfi
Elite

Re: How to load serversettings/gameoptions once you saved them?

Post by cazfi »

As long as we talk about server settings in the client side, they are used by default, no need to "Load" them separately. This also means that there can be only one set of them. If you want to have different set of settings for different games, you have to handle that on server side.
Corbeau
Elite

Post by Corbeau »

Hm, I thought that would be the case, but it seems that when I "Saved" them and restarted, I had to enter all of them from the start. But could be I missed something. I'll recheck, thanks.
--
* Freeciv LongTurn, a community of one-turn-per-day players and developers
* LongTurn Blog - information nexus with stuff and stuff and stuff
* Longturn Discord server; real-time chatting, discussing, quarrelling, trolling, gaslighting...
cazfi
Elite

Post by cazfi »

Saving server settings client side interact badly with several other features, so you may want to do it server side anyway. In the server there are commands "/write <file>" to write a file that contains commands to set settings to values currently used, and "/read <file>" to load such a file containing server commands.
Alien Valkyrie
Elite

Post by Alien Valkyrie »

If I'm not mistaken, the client-side saved server settings are only used when the server is started internally by the client, i.e. you start a single player game.

One thing to note about /read and /write though: /read will automatically add the extension .serv to the file name (if it's not there already), but /write will not. Therefore, when using /write, always remember to add it or you won't be able to find the file with /read.
I suppose I should report this as a bug. Brb.
EDIT: Reported.
~ AVL