Error Loading Custom Ruleset

You can get help here if Freeciv doesn't start on your computer, or if you keep getting fatal errors while playing etc.
Bedawyn

Error Loading Custom Ruleset

Post by Bedawyn »

Not sure if this belongs here or under rulesets, but it's more technical in nature, so I'll try here.

What does the server load next after default.lua when it's trying to load rulesets?

I've been trying to create a custom ruleset, but I wanted to start with the most bare-bones, essentials-only ruleset possible, so that I could build it up slowly, making sure each unit, building, etc. worked the way I wanted it to. So I started with completely blank ruleset files and used the error messages to tell me what the game considered essential. Thus, try to load, expected failure, error message says it's looking for Which, I go back and add Which, try to load, expected failure, rinse and repeat.

I got through all 10 ruleset files this way and reached the point where I was expecting my minimal ruleset to finally load. Instead, it crashed the server. After staring at the screen in annoyance for a while, I thought to check the files in default, saw that default.lua was expecting partisans, so I went back and added them in. But now it's still crashing, and I don't have any error messages to tell me why, and I can't think what else to check that I haven't already.

So... where to go next? And is there a hidden crash log somewhere that I should have been checking instead?

I'm using 2.5.6 now, but had the same problem in 2.4.
JTN
Elite

Re: Error Loading Custom Ruleset

Post by JTN »

It sounds like you want the 'stub' ruleset. For 2.5 you'll need the version off cazfi's website http://www.cazfi.net/freeciv/rulesets.html#stub (in later versions it's kept in svn with the main source).
What does the server load next after default.lua when it's trying to load rulesets?
I think that default.lua is the last file loaded.
Bedawyn

Re: Error Loading Custom Ruleset

Post by Bedawyn »

Thanks! Will try that tonight.