Qt 2.6b r34230 Issues

You can get help here if Freeciv doesn't start on your computer, or if you keep getting fatal errors while playing etc.
GriffonSpade
Elite

Qt 2.6b r34230 Issues

Post by GriffonSpade »

Sundry Qt r34230 issues.
First, white text on silver background in the default theme.
Second, checkboxes are not present in the Game Options.
Third, the client crashes whenever a player joins the game.
Fourth, clicking on a menu option as an observer crashes the client.
mir3x
Veteran

Re: Qt 2.6b r34230 Issues

Post by mir3x »

I know, bc theme didnt loaded mostly.
But have u noticed if font were antialiased ?
Im sure they weren't on my windows.

Have u noticed any unusal font change at all ?

I can build new version tomorrow if anyone interested.

I compared colors, looks almost the same on windows.
Have u calibrated monitor?
Attachments
Untitled.png
GriffonSpade
Elite

Post by GriffonSpade »

mir3x wrote:Have u noticed any unusal font change at all ?
Eh, I won't notice things like that unless they impede my ability to read them.

A working version would be nice. What little I saw of the new side bar is pretty neat. Getting to crash test all the fiddly bits can't hurt.
mir3x
Veteran

Post by mir3x »

I dropped win64 binary here, unpack and run, no install.
I disabled sidebar icons reloading when changing theme (Necrophos has different, just restart then).
(City splitters dont work perfect, but patch is on the way)

EDIT: I reuploadaed bc that qt version can't load jpg files - i changed jpg to png
http://www.filedropper.com/freeciv-260-beta0-qt_1

( it works but i had to click download like 4 times, or maybe all I needed was to wait )
GriffonSpade
Elite

Post by GriffonSpade »

"Application failed to start because it could not find the Qt platform plugin windows"

For reference, i tried to run it by double clicking the app (There no shortcut or anything, after all)
mir3x
Veteran

Post by mir3x »

Dunno, it was working ok for me.

I fixed installer problems anyway and attached installer ( it has some plugins)
Hope it works.

http://www.filedropper.com/freeciv-260- ... 4-qt-setup
mir3x
Veteran

Post by mir3x »

Does it work properly?
GriffonSpade
Elite

Post by GriffonSpade »

mir3x wrote:Does it work properly?
Just loaded it up. It's fucking beautiful. I think I might cry.

One issue with the city display:
1) It likes to resize itself to be taller than my screen, and refuses to be resized downward from the top.

A few potential issues, but relatively minor overall:
1) The cursive tech tree font may be hard to read for those with poor reading skills or small screen sizes. (Wasn't a problem for me. I think it looks nice.) I see that it can be changed, though. Maybe a good idea to have some kind of little 'help' icon that you can hover over in the tech tree that would inform the user that it can be changed. (and maybe open it up to the relevant option menu)
2) The miniature terrain image and maybe unit image up top could be scaled up to fit their boxes? Edit: Actually, I think it might be. In that case, possibly, the ability of the display box to become wider to allow the image to fill it vertically.
3) No lock interface option. :oops:
4) No option to right click through the chat box. Can be a bit of a pain since the corners are where I normally click to move the map. :(
5) The game's detection of whether it should be full screen or not is wonky. First time I used it while maximized, it normal-sized my window, then when I unchecked it it full-screened.

Absolutely love the new action buttons and loading bars, though. Should there be additional buttons for explore and auto-settler? (a pair of binoculars and a pickaxe or something). New themes are working splendidly.
mir3x
Veteran

Post by mir3x »

>> 1) It likes to resize itself to be taller than my screen, and refuses to be resized downward from the top

Scrollbars patch is commited, now it can be resized to 0 height I think. Ill add also hex icon update, bc they are too big.
And later buttons to scale tile view in city map.

>> 1) The cursive tech tree font may be hard to read for those with poor reading skills or small screen sizes. (Wasn't a problem for me. I think it looks nice.) I see that it can be changed, though. Maybe a good idea to have some kind of little 'help' icon that you can hover over in the tech tree that would inform the user that it can be changed. (and maybe open it up to the relevant option menu)

Its just standard font configuration for first run, user can change it later. I think I missed help text font to configure anyway.
If user doesnt have Papyrus font or Segoe Script font ( probably most linux users) it will default to something standard.

>> 2) The miniature terrain image and maybe unit image up top could be scaled up to fit their boxes? Edit: Actually, I think it might be. In that case, possibly, the ability of the display box to become wider to allow the image to fill it vertically.

Its hex tileset ? I think I'll add some auto crop function to hex tileset, bc it looks ugly, also in city dialog.
>> 3) No lock interface option

Maybe later :D

>> 4) No option to right click through the chat box. Can be a bit of a pain since the corners are where I normally click to move the map. :(

I'll add it but in fact message+ chat can be moved - there is invisible area in top/right :D - u click and move, Ill add icon that later.
Also it wont be saved now, and after restart result might be unpredictable.

>> 5) The game's detection of whether it should be full screen or not is wonky. First time I used it while maximized, it normal-sized my window, then when I unchecked it it full-screened

Is there any chance that u marked - dont show titlebar in options ?(I'll fixed height of those no titlebar icons ). It behaves strangely then.
Without it it worked for me always good.

I added also somewhere option - dont autocenter on automated units. Its nice.

>> Absolutely love the new action buttons and loading bars, though. Should there be additional buttons for explore and auto-settler? (a pair of binoculars and a pickaxe or something). New themes are working splendidly.

I just dont want to add too much buttons now, maybe I'll add plus icon, and then extra actions would be shown vertically like connect with road, fortress, explore, automate, and all missed ones.
Anyway that unit label default to 9% of height or 11%, I forget exactly, is it ok?
GriffonSpade
Elite

Post by GriffonSpade »

mir3x wrote:Its just standard font configuration for first run, user can change it later. I think I missed help text font to configure anyway.
If user doesnt have Papyrus font or Segoe Script font ( probably most linux users) it will default to something standard.
I suspect most users find out about these options about 3 years after they start playing. There is still an occasional option that surprises me, even.
mir3x wrote:Its hex tileset ? I think I'll add some auto crop function to hex tileset, bc it looks ugly, also in city dialog.
Yeah, hex. Some cropping in the 'padded' direction (sides for iso-hex, top-bottom for hex) is called for.
mir3x wrote:I'll add it but in fact message+ chat can be moved - there is invisible area in top/right :D - u click and move, Ill add icon that later.
Also it wont be saved now, and after restart result might be unpredictable.
Very sneaky. It doesn't even change the cursor into the 'move' version.
mir3x wrote:Is there any chance that u marked - dont show titlebar in options ?(I'll fixed height of those no titlebar icons ). It behaves strangely then.
Without it it worked for me always good.
It's actually 'Show Titlebar'. And yeah, it's checked. A bit odd that it inverts maximizing, though.
mir3x wrote:I added also somewhere option - dont autocenter on automated units. Its nice.
And it's so very nice! I actually missed it, because I just skimmed through the 'auto center' options, wasn't expecting it to start with 'show' :P
No more bouncing around all over the place to see explorers and workers.
mir3x wrote:I just dont want to add too much buttons now, maybe I'll add plus icon, and then extra actions would be shown vertically like connect with road, fortress, explore, automate, and all missed ones.
Maybe one of those expandable >> button things, where the minimized version is just a thin sliver wide enough to show the >> character. Which would then flip to a << button when open.
mir3x wrote:Anyway that unit label default to 9% of height or 11%, I forget exactly, is it ok?
I think 7 point fonts are just a tad too small. 8 tends to be legible, though.