Game fails to start

You can get help here if Freeciv doesn't start on your computer, or if you keep getting fatal errors while playing etc.
Thraal

Game fails to start

Post by Thraal »

Hi,

I've just downloaded and installed the Windows installer file, version 2.4.3, and it won't start a game. When I click on the icon, the program launches just fine, the problem occurs when I click on "Start New Game" or "Start Scenario Game". I get a message at the bottom of the game window that says, "You'll have to start one manually. Sorry...".

Maybe I've misunderstood but i thought all I had to do was download and install the Windows installer package and then the game would run without needing anything further done. I'd greatly appreciate any help to fix this issue, as I really love this game.

Thanks,
Daniel
JTN
Elite

Re: Game fails to start

Post by JTN »

Thraal wrote:I've just downloaded and installed the Windows installer file, version 2.4.3, and it won't start a game. When I click on the icon, the program launches just fine, the problem occurs when I click on "Start New Game" or "Start Scenario Game". I get a message at the bottom of the game window that says, "You'll have to start one manually. Sorry...".

Maybe I've misunderstood but i thought all I had to do was download and install the Windows installer package and then the game would run without needing anything further done. I'd greatly appreciate any help to fix this issue, as I really love this game.
You're not doing it wrong; what you are doing should work, but apparently we have a bug in this area. See bug #22549 which links to other reports on this forum.

What version(s) of Windows are you using? (Other reports have suggested it might be specific to Windows XP.)

If you can start the client from the command line with "-d 3 -l foo.txt", is there an error in the log? (The log file will be long, so you'll have to search it; I'm interested in the bit after "This is the server for Freeciv version 2.4.3", and expecting an error message that might include text like "bind failed". Paste the bit of the log around this time.)

What happens if you start freeciv-server standalone from the command line? Does it report an error?

(When doing these tests, beware that behaviour may be history-dependent: after you've started or quit a client or server, its network socket/port may remain unusable for a while. So be careful not to report spurious correlations with other things you change.)
Thraal

Post by Thraal »

Sorry for the delay in replying but my Internet connection has technical problems at the Telco's substation. So until that is fixed, my connection speeds are worse than Dial-up.

I'm using Windows 7 Home premium and to further clarify my issue, I can only play a game if I first open the Freeciv Server and choose the option to "Connect to a Network Game". However I'm limited to whatever options and Nations the game gives me, I can't choose anything.

I'll try what you suggest and post the results back when I have them.

Thank you so much for taking the time to help, I really appreciate it.

Daniel
dunnoob
Elite

Post by dunnoob »

This might be a clue: I have no problems with 2.4.3 on Windows 7 (64bits). Some days ago my budget for online connections ran out, at that point in time I already had the 2.4.3 portable edition (PAF), but not the regular "install/setup" version 2.4.3. Therefore I simply copied my existing installed 2.4.2 to where 2.4.3 should be (all files and subdirectories as is), and then I copied the portable 2.4.3 stuff over this copy (again all files and subdirectories).

This ended up in a perfectly working "not installed" 2.4.3 installation (but I'm not sure what the uninstall.exe from the portable PAF would do if I'd use it.) In other words, the 2.4.3 issue could be related to the installation of 2.4.3.