2.4.0 server doesn't start on win xp

You can get help here if Freeciv doesn't start on your computer, or if you keep getting fatal errors while playing etc.
alfredh

2.4.0 server doesn't start on win xp

Post by alfredh »

Hi,

i've installed the new 2.4.0 on an uptodate windows xp sp3. There is no antivirus installed (yes, i know what i'm doing and it's on purpose) and the only firewall is the one provided by windows. Starting the client doesn't start the server as every previous version did. I used process explorer and tcpview from microsoft, the server isn't spawned and the client tries to connect to the not existing server sending syn packets. In my admin account it works but freeciv should be not admin only. I've checked that all users have the execute right for freeciv-server.exe and there is nothing in the system event log which seems related. Does anyone has an idea what i should and can check next?

regards, alfred
cazfi
Elite

Re: 2.4.0 server doesn't start on win xp

Post by cazfi »

Can you start server separately (preferably from dos-prompt so you can see any error messages even if it closes down immediately), and can you connect client to such server ("Connect to Network Game", and select "localhost" as host)
alfredh

Post by alfredh »

Thank you for the answer. That worked. I've started cmd.exe and then did/got the following:

Code: Select all

C:\Programme\Freeciv-2.4.0-gtk2>freeciv-server.exe -p 5556
Dies ist der Server von Freeciv Version 2.4.0
Weitere Informationen zu Freeciv finden Sie auf http://www.freeciv.org/.
This freeciv-server program has player authentication support, but it's currently not in use.
2: Loading rulesets.
2: AI*1 has been added as Leicht level AI-controlled player (classic).
2: AI*2 has been added as Leicht level AI-controlled player (classic).
2: AI*3 has been added as Leicht level AI-controlled player (classic).
2: AI*4 has been added as Leicht level AI-controlled player (classic).
2: AI*5 has been added as Leicht level AI-controlled player (classic).
2: Warte auf Spieler...

'help' gibt Erlõuterungen zur Verwendung der Online-Hilfe.
>
2: ALFRED von localhost erbittet Verbindung.
2: c1 hat Client 2.4.0.
2: ALFRED von localhost hat Verbindung aufgenommen.
>
Spiel begonnen.
>
2: Solomon Mamaloni beherrscht die Polynesier.
2: Shapur I beherrscht die Perser.
2: Jimmu beherrscht die Japaner.
2: Tasunkakokipapi beherrscht die Sioux.
2: Umberto I beherrscht die Italiener.
2: Creating a map of size 54 x 72 = 3888 tiles (4000 requested).
>
C:\Programme\Freeciv-2.4.0-gtk2>
I could move some pieces but short time later the server crashed when i finished the turn. I tried again and it crashed again. Am i missing important server parameters beside to the port?

Choosing a debugloglevel doesn't work:

C:\Programme\Freeciv-2.4.0-gtk2>freeciv-server.exe -d 3 -p 5556
This freeciv-server program has player authentication support, but it's currently not in use.
3: log started
0: bind failed: Der Vorgang wurde erfolgreich beendet.

In the meantime i found out that when i only start the client and let him start the server the server is started but quits with an exitcode 1 before the client tries to connect.
cazfi
Elite

Post by cazfi »

alfredh wrote:Choosing a debugloglevel doesn't work:

C:\Programme\Freeciv-2.4.0-gtk2>freeciv-server.exe -d 3 -p 5556
3: log started
0: bind failed: Der Vorgang wurde erfolgreich beendet.

Did you try this immediately after finishing one run of the server. The "bind failed" most likely is caused by something keeping port 5556 reserved; maybe previous freeciv-server run didn't make clean exit in that respect - it would then take a while for the port to timeout and to become free again.

As if the same problem can (always) occur with the client spawned server, note that client spawns server in the port 5557 by default (to work around some other Windows problems - to make it different from default port of the separately started server).
JTN
Elite

Post by JTN »

I've raised bug #22549 for this kind of symptom.

However, this old report is against 2.4.0. Socket binding arrangements changed significantly in 2.4.2 (see first news item here).
cazfi wrote:As if the same problem can (always) occur with the client spawned server, note that client spawns server in the port 5557 by default (to work around some other Windows problems - to make it different from default port of the separately started server).
That's only straightforwardly true as of 2.4.2. In 2.4.0, the situation was more confused (client would determine 5556 is free and then try to start server on 5557).

If the original poster is still around, do you still see this sort of problem with the current stable release (2.4.3)?