freeciv-server crash with 2.4.0-RC1

You can get help here if Freeciv doesn't start on your computer, or if you keep getting fatal errors while playing etc.
Arbogast
Elite

freeciv-server crash with 2.4.0-RC1

Post by Arbogast »

[moderator's note: split from 2.4.0-RC1 topic in Announcements forum]

Looks like a lot of improvements! Great job!
But I got this message on three logouts out of the game:
Attachments
error.jpg
Alien Valkyrie
Elite

Re: Release candidate 2.4.0-RC1

Post by Alien Valkyrie »

Could you translate that into english? French is a bit hard to understand. I can just guess that the last line means "Click OK to exit the program".
~ AVL
cazfi
Elite

Post by cazfi »

Arbogast wrote:But I got this message on three logouts out of the game:
Let's make sure we understand each other:
It says that freeciv-server crashed, and you speak about logging out of the game. So, you mean that the server run separately crashes when you disconnect the client?
HanduMan

Post by HanduMan »

cazfi wrote:So, you mean that the server run separately crashes when you disconnect the client?
This reminds me of...

https://gna.org/bugs/?16468

Back then it did not give me any error dialog but otherwise rings a bell?

(BTW someone with appropriate powers might want to split this topic? [done -- JTN])
Arbogast
Elite

Post by Arbogast »

Ok, I'll try:
to Caedo: it says ["insruction at "da, da..." uses the memory address at "da, da...". The memory cannot be read.]
"Click OK to exit the program" is right.

To Cazfi: I'm not sure I understand you. I'm running the windows package and I don't pay much attention to server/client thing.
I just logon, play and when I exit, I get that message.
My befuddle is when you say
you mean that the server run separately crashes when you disconnect the client?
No, I just click on the FreeCiv icon, then load a game -very slow, but that's another matter- and then play.
cazfi
Elite

Post by cazfi »

Ok, thanks. I get the picture now.

You run the client, get the server automatically run by the client, and that server crashes when you close the client. Hmm... do you use Game -> Leave or Game -> Quit, or just closing the window, to end the game?
Arbogast
Elite

Post by Arbogast »

Just game->quit or Ctrl+Q. With game->leave I stay within FreeCiv.
Anyway, thank you for your prompt answer.

HanduMan: yeah, those posts look similar even if they are 2 or 3 years old.
'Leave' stops the game but Freeciv stays open.
'Quit' kicks you out to windows.

Edit a few hours later:
Installed the SDL version and it is worse :( ! I get the same error message but at the Begining of the game, and it crashes the server thus I get kicked out.
cazfi
Elite

Post by cazfi »

Arbogast wrote:Just game->quit or Ctrl+Q. With game->leave I stay within FreeCiv.
"Leave" disconnects client from the server, and in case of singleplayer game shuts down the server. "Quit" also shuts down the client.
JTN
Elite

Post by JTN »

I tried to reproduce this (on Windows 7), and didn't encounter any trouble when quitting a freshly started game.
Arbogast wrote:But I got this message on three logouts out of the game: [...]
Do you get this sort of error message reliably every single time you quit the client, or just sometimes?
Arbogast wrote:I just click on the FreeCiv icon, then load a game -very slow, but that's another matter- and then play.
Perhaps you could give us the save file that shows this behaviour?

(Someone -- maybe you? -- has reported slowness loading games as a bug -- bug #21048 -- but they haven't left much detail to go on.)
Arbogast
Elite

Re: freeciv-server crash with 2.4.0-RC1

Post by Arbogast »

I think we are progressing.
Yes, the error message happens evrytime, but since you don't get it, I'm suspecting it's my machine, not sure tho.
As for sending you a save file, sure, but about the crashing or the slowness.
More: GTK or SDL?
I'm setting some time this afternoon for this very problem (the crashing). As for the slowness, I'm getting used to it since it is a recurring headache ever since I been playing FreeCiv - pre-2.0 versions -

EDIT (later on): I ran 2.4.0-gtk, played a few turns and saved the game, quit with 'game->leave' and here is the result:

then I reloaded the saved game, played 2 turns and quit via 'game-quit'. Got the known message out in windows desktop.

I tried the 2.4.0-sdl and did the very same things as above. And this came out:
Now I can get into the game and play a few turns. So GTK and SDL are behaving the same.
(the attachments did not come out in the right order or the right place, but it's easy to see what's what)

NOTE: In spite of saving manually the games, when reloading they did not show as 'manual' saves, not even as 'quitidle'.

Hope this helps
Attachments
error2.jpg
error1.jpg