Bug in Beta 3 installer

You can get help here if Freeciv doesn't start on your computer, or if you keep getting fatal errors while playing etc.
uruiamme

Bug in Beta 3 installer

Post by uruiamme »

It looks like you are using an installer for gtk that is incompatible with the latest Windows 10. The installer would just exit without an error message. I finally tried Compatibility Troubleshooter and it worked using Compatibility Mode for Windows 8.

The bad installer is at:

Freeciv-3.0.0-beta3-msys2-win64-gtk3.22-setup.exe Mainstream client, with map editor
filename is: Freeciv-3.0.0-beta3-msys2-win64-gtk3.22-setup.exe
I am using Windows 10 version 20H2, 64-bit

I'm going to see if the program itself is working, so I may edit this post in the next few minutes.

Edit: Quick testing reveals that it runs normally. But the font size on the Freeciv Help Browser is unreadably too small. Can you show me how to increase it to something manageable? I'm running a 19 inch monitor, and the height of the letters are about 1/2 mm, or about one-third or one-quarter the size of the text I am typing. And it's that old typewriter-style font from 40 years ago, too. Impossible to read without putting my eyes 10 inches from the screen.
cazfi
Elite

Re: Bug in Beta 3 installer

Post by cazfi »

Interesting. The installer is built, and tested (only) in Windows10.
cazfi
Elite

Post by cazfi »

Has anyone else had problems with that? I'm a bit worried that we've not identified any problems, and thus not fixed anything, and we're about to release 3.0.0 stable release soon.
lithzen

Post by lithzen »

I installed by Freeciv-3.0.0-beta3-msys2-win64-gtk3.22-setup Mainstream client, with map editor to Windows 10 version 21H1 64bit.
The install successed.

However the font size in Help Browser is too small. Height of letters is less than 2mm.
It's bigger than that in uruiamme's report, but not enough to read easily, I think.