Beta release 2.6.0-beta1

New releases, projects, multiplayer games, etc.
JTN
Elite

Beta release 2.6.0-beta1

Post by JTN »

The first beta for the next major version of Freeciv, 2.6.0-beta1, has just been released.

2.6.x includes a redesigned Qt client with multiplayer features, experimental map scaling, a substantially revised version of the civ2civ3 ruleset, GriffonSpade's Hexemplio large hex tileset, and much more flexibility for custom rulesets. See the summary of changes since 2.5.x.

Source code is available here. Compiled Windows packages aren't available yet, but will hopefully follow shortly.

Please report bugs you find on our bug tracker at hostedredmine (rather than on this forum) so we don't lose track of them.
JTN
Elite

Re: Beta release 2.6.0-beta1

Post by JTN »

The Windows builds are now up.
dunnoob
Elite

Post by dunnoob »

JTN wrote:The Windows builds are now up.
Great, but according to the Wiki main page community news we're still at 2nd Feb 2013 and version 2.3.:shock:

Please unprotect template:news-com or replace its content by one line...

Code: Select all

#REDIRECT [[Template:NEWS]]
...to simplify the maintenance.
cazfi
Elite

Post by cazfi »

dunnoob wrote:community news we're still at 2nd Feb 2013 and version 2.3.:shock:
Well, freeciv for Android still appears to be based on freeciv-2.3.1 - seems like a dead project by now.
javaxubuntu

Post by javaxubuntu »

I created a fork and I'm currently working on porting Freeciv 2.6 beta to Android.
https://github.com/javaxubuntu/freeciv-android/
cazfi
Elite

Post by cazfi »

javaxubuntu wrote:I created a fork and I'm currently working on porting Freeciv 2.6 beta to Android.
https://github.com/javaxubuntu/freeciv-android/
Remember to do your development so that you will be able to easily rebase it on top of new freeciv releases in the future, so that it doesn't end up as another project tied to soon-outdated freeciv version. Maybe we should maintain some parts in freeciv git?
dunnoob
Elite

Post by dunnoob »

dunnoob wrote:according to the Wiki main page community news we're still at 2nd Feb 2013 and version 2.3.:shock:

Please unprotect template:news-com or replace its content by one line...

Code: Select all

#REDIRECT [[Template:NEWS]]
...to simplify the maintenance.
Bump, this belongs to HRM 696681 and two Special:UncategorizedTemplates on the Wiki, it wasn't about Android.

Updated some weeks later: Resolved, ignoring an older suggestion, the Wiki Main Page now shows News 2017 instead of Community News 2013.
javaxubuntu

Android version of 2.6.0-beta1

Post by javaxubuntu »

I updated the existing Android project to include the last beta version. You can download the APK here: https://github.com/zielmicha/freeciv-an ... .6.0-alpha

Please note that is's not a complete port of the desktop version. Like the existing Android version there is no multiplayer and no space race. This new Android alpha release includes ruleset and tileset updates, so game rules are the same as the desktop version.
Last edited by javaxubuntu on Tue Jan 02, 2018 10:22 pm, edited 2 times in total.
javaxubuntu

Re: Android version of 2.6.0-beta1

Post by javaxubuntu »

Also, I need to know if this new Android apps forks fine or if is has some new bugs (bugs that didn't happen with the last stable Android version from Google Play). Should I create a new topic for this? What would be the appropriate section?
dunnoob
Elite

Re: Android version of 2.6.0-beta1

Post by dunnoob »

javaxubuntu wrote:Should I create a new topic for this? What would be the appropriate section?
The existing Status of Freeciv for Android thread should be fine, where you asked to remove the link to your fork on the Wiki (done). If the debug apk (or whatever it is) should be listed on more distributions holler or DIY.