[COMPLETE] Downtime soon

New releases, projects, multiplayer games, etc.
JTN
Elite

[COMPLETE] Downtime soon

Post by JTN »

We expect to have some downtime sometime in the next few weeks to move to a new host (don't know the exact date yet).

Details aren't confirmed yet but here's how I expect it to go:
  • This forum: likely to be unavailable for several hours (probably overnight UK time).
  • Metaserver: down for a shorter time (maybe an hour?), and across the transition servers/clients may use a mixture of old and new metaservers. (2.4+ servers/clients should sort themselves out without assistance; older servers will require "/metaconnection down" then "/metaconnection up" after the transition, or they will not be visible to new clients.)
  • www.freeciv.org URLs will not work for a similar period.
  • DNS: service should be uninterrupted, and updates should propagate inside of 10 minutes.
JTN
Elite

Re: Downtime soon

Post by JTN »

Now expecting this to happen overnight between Monday evening and Tuesday morning, European time.

I forgot to mention play.freeciv.org. That has already migrated to a new host (this evening). Apologies for any glitches this caused.
JTN
Elite

Re: Downtime soon

Post by JTN »

The migration has now happened. Less downtime than I expected.

There's a bit of followup work to do to move the nameserver, but that shouldn't affect anyone.
JTN wrote:I forgot to mention play.freeciv.org. That has already migrated to a new host (this evening). Apologies for any glitches this caused.
We had a couple of hours downtime on play.freeciv.org earlier. Cause unknown; we'll keep an eye on it. (If the same thing happens again, it'll now also take down this forum and the metaserver.)