Source code for Freeciv-web running on Freecivweb.org

Web version of freeciv. Please mention the site you're using, if speaking things other than general freeciv-web codebase.
qrtv10

Source code for Freeciv-web running on Freecivweb.org

Post by qrtv10 »

Freecivweb.org is a volunteer community whose goal is to provide quality games in a free fun environment where players respect and learn from each other.

We are not a company with full-time professionals. We have no legal team nor communications department. We donate our spare time to provide a better Freeciv gaming environment.

Freecivweb's source code is open source. It is true that for a short period, our git repository hadn't been updated with code under private beta testing. For several months Freecivweb.org has been transitioning to a better development process aimed at improving integration with the upstream project. The transition turned out to be more complicated than expected.

A few weeks ago, certain entities related to other Freeciv projects asked for our source code. We are saddened that our need for time was met with hostility, and we are further disappointed that this hostility turned into legal threats towards us. This happened while they helped competing projects that at the time were openly violating AGPL rules.

In the best interest of the whole Freeciv community, let's avoid divisiveness in the future by making sure everyone makes their own projects compliant _before_ launching public campaigns against other volunteer projects.

Thanks to all for having patience. Our new development process will make it easier to improve Freeciv-web, grow the community and keep the current code available.

Freecivweb.org promotes cooperation with the whole Freeciv community and has ideas how to improve that. A further statement about this will come in the near future.

Freecivweb.org's development link at the top of our front page contains all updated source code that is running on our server, including our current private beta.
qrtv10

Re: Source code for Freeciv-web running on Freecivweb.org

Post by qrtv10 »

...Placeholder message for future statement...
Canik
Veteran

Post by Canik »

Complaints happened against FCW and not TnT because FCW deleted and ignored posts requesting the source code. TnT was simply just started, genuine incompetence is why the source code was not properly up. No one believes that is the case with FCW however. I could go on but to sum it up; people did not act wrongly treating us different. They acted rightly. And naturally.

Anyway while I may disagree with some framing of FCW's annoucement here - I am glad to hear FCW has supposedly uploaded it's current state to github. We'll have to check this out but assuming it's true it's a step towards healing and cooperation and I'd like that. FCW has done much for Freeciv on the web and together we could do much more. :)
Canik
Veteran

Post by Canik »

I just checked and I see recently added code and graphics *are* now available here https://github.com/Lexxie9952/fcw.org-server/tree/dev in the 'dev' branch.

So I believe FCW is indeed compliant again. Awesome!
cazfi
Elite

Post by cazfi »

Canik wrote:So I believe FCW is indeed compliant again.
For the record: They are not.

But it's a welcome and important step that they have taken towards compliance.
AndreasR
Elite

Post by AndreasR »

https://github.com/Lexxie9952/fcw.org-s ... repository

These terms directly violate the AGPL license. This was also confirmed by the letter from Stallman. So Freecivweb.org still isn't AGPL compliant.

This is the AGPL license for Freeciv-web:
https://github.com/freeciv/freeciv-web/ ... ICENSE.txt
Any forks such as Freecivweb.org must comply with this license.
cazfi
Elite

Post by cazfi »

Canik wrote:Complaints happened against FCW and not TnT because FCW deleted and ignored posts requesting the source code. TnT was simply just started, genuine incompetence is why the source code was not properly up. No one believes that is the case with FCW however. I could go on but to sum it up; people did not act wrongly treating us different. They acted rightly. And naturally.
I never checked the TnT case, but from the discussions I've seen you were working toward the compliance, and co-operated.

FCW has been providing lies, insults, and refusal to act. We've given them time. They have had almost a month. There's not much patience towards them left.
cazfi
Elite

Post by cazfi »

My patience aside, the one month from the first notice of the noncompliance is, like they were already warned weeks ago, important in that AGPL states that if they don't restore their compliance within 30 days from the notice, their right to use freeciv-web is not restored when they do.
Corbeau
Elite

Post by Corbeau »

Amateur non-expert here, can someone explain in Simple English why FCW is currently not compliant with AGPL? Is it the restrictive licence they invented or is there something else?
--
* Freeciv LongTurn, a community of one-turn-per-day players and developers
* LongTurn Blog - information nexus with stuff and stuff and stuff
* Longturn Discord server; real-time chatting, discussing, quarrelling, trolling, gaslighting...
cazfi
Elite

Post by cazfi »

Corbeau wrote:Amateur non-expert here, can someone explain in Simple English why FCW is currently not compliant with AGPL? Is it the restrictive licence they invented or is there something else?
The main problem I see (I don't know if Andreas has more in his mind) is that even though AGPL grants their users rights to the source code, their "repository policy" tries to restrict that (bolding mine):
...FCW is NOT required to do work for, nor release source code to anyone with whom we have not entered a voluntary mutual relationship...
https://github.com/Lexxie9952/fcw.org-s ... repository