Source code for Freeciv-web running on Freecivweb.org

Web version of freeciv. Please mention the site you're using, if speaking things other than general freeciv-web codebase.
AndreasR
Elite

Re: Source code for Freeciv-web running on Freecivweb.org

Post by AndreasR »

Last edited by AndreasR on Mon Nov 01, 2021 3:48 am, edited 1 time in total.
cazfi
Elite

Post by cazfi »

Canik wrote:Along with some other attempts at community unification by FCW staff. Fuzzy in particular but to the others involved as well. I hope we can build on it.
To also let community know what's currently going on, I'd like to thank Sveinung for mediating between Freeciv & FCW.
Corbeau
Elite

Post by Corbeau »

Canik wrote:I do applaud this show of concern for community relations by FCW. Along with some other attempts at community unification by FCW staff. Fuzzy in particular but to the others involved as well. I hope we can build on it.
For clarification, can you specify the "others" bit? I know about Fuzzy, he did reach out and steps were made. I don't know about others and it would be nice if they receive a mention.
--
* Freeciv LongTurn, a community of one-turn-per-day players and developers
* LongTurn Blog - information nexus with stuff and stuff and stuff
* Longturn Discord server; real-time chatting, discussing, quarrelling, trolling, gaslighting...
Canik
Veteran

Post by Canik »

Corbeau wrote:
Canik wrote:I do applaud this show of concern for community relations by FCW. Along with some other attempts at community unification by FCW staff. Fuzzy in particular but to the others involved as well. I hope we can build on it.
For clarification, can you specify the "others" bit? I know about Fuzzy, he did reach out and steps were made. I don't know about others and it would be nice if they receive a mention.
Well there was Andreas, who publicly resigned from FCW staff in protest of the non-compliance. Thank you for that, Andreas.

Those who protested or expressed desire for harmony privately (not all necessarily FCW staff, mind you), I don't think I should make public without their consent.

and of course thank you to all those in the Freeciv community at large who publicly protested such as yourself, Corbeau. Louis, Wieder, Panch93, Cazfi, etc.

and of course thank Lexxie as well for ultimately agreeing to steps and listening to the community.
cazfi
Elite

Post by cazfi »

cazfi wrote:
louis94 wrote:Unfortunately attribution is lost for most of the freeciv/freeciv code
Like with freeciv tarballs you mentioned, the attributions are in ChangeLog. They don't have it up-to-date at the release time, though. For upstream freeciv/freeciv, ChangeLog is updated for the releases, and in master for milestones like branching a new stable branch. As FCW does not use (master) code from a branching point, the ChangeLog is outdated.
I submitted a patch to TnT to improve this a bit there - updating the ChangeLog to the level of their base freeciv/freeciv commit. This still leaves out the various backports of later commits. It also seems that TnT has lost attribution of freeciv-web code by pushing all of it in as an initial commit (same as FCW did for freeciv/freeciv) instead of cloning with history.

Edit: That patch is probably valid for FCW as is, so they can cherry-pick it from there.
louis94
Hardened

Post by louis94 »

This message is kept for historical purposes only. Please dismiss its content.

Well it didn't take long.

As of Sun Nov 14 20:55:49 UTC 2021, the source code linked from https://www.freecivweb.org/, i.e. the repository at https://github.com/Lexxie9952/fcw.org-server, does not correspond to the state of the website. To convince yourself that this is the case, observe that the front picture changes every time you reload the page. Neither the code to select the picture nor the pictures themselves appear to be present in the repository, as found by looking them up by file name (for instance, search the repository for a file called fcw-front-page33.png).

Since this is the second time this happens a few weeks, I believe that the website being non-conforming is intentional. I however give the operators of the website one full week to manifest themselves, provide an explanation and restore conformity (since they have posted here before, I assume that they are still subscribed to this thread). Note that this grace period is purely voluntary since FCW's rights under the AGPL were terminated the second they started being non-conforming again. In the absence of a timely reply from them, I will unfortunately be compelled to conclude that the administrators of https://www.freecivweb.org/ have willingly engaged into piracy.
Last edited by louis94 on Mon Nov 15, 2021 10:40 pm, edited 2 times in total.
cazfi
Elite

Post by cazfi »

In an earlier inconsistency between the version live server run and what github shows by default (master branch) I were told that it was actually 'dev' branch that contained the version on server. Haven't checked if it apply this time. But it's possible that this is just oversight in documentation.
louis94
Hardened

Post by louis94 »

cazfi wrote:In an earlier inconsistency between the version live server run and what github shows by default (master branch) I were told that it was actually 'dev' branch that contained the version on server. Haven't checked if it apply this time. But it's possible that this is just oversight in documentation.
Right, thanks cazfi! Wondering why new development takes place on master (your PRs) and dev at the same time, but most importantly the code is there!

Apologizes to FCW admins, editing my previous message to not let anyone believe that my claims are true.
cazfi
Elite

Post by cazfi »

louis94 wrote:takes place on master (your PRs)
As no contributor documentation has hinted that they should go to some other branch than the default, that's where I've put them. Probably they should make 'dev' the default branch.
Fuzzy

Post by Fuzzy »

louis94 wrote:This message is kept for historical purposes only. Please dismiss its content.

Well it didn't take long.

As of Sun Nov 14 20:55:49 UTC 2021, the source code linked from https://www.freecivweb.org/, i.e. the repository at https://github.com/Lexxie9952/fcw.org-server, does not correspond to the state of the website. To convince yourself that this is the case, observe that the front picture changes every time you reload the page. Neither the code to select the picture nor the pictures themselves appear to be present in the repository, as found by looking them up by file name (for instance, search the repository for a file called fcw-front-page33.png).

Since this is the second time this happens a few weeks, I believe that the website being non-conforming is intentional. I however give the operators of the website one full week to manifest themselves, provide an explanation and restore conformity (since they have posted here before, I assume that they are still subscribed to this thread). Note that this grace period is purely voluntary since FCW's rights under the AGPL were terminated the second they started being non-conforming again. In the absence of a timely reply from them, I will unfortunately be compelled to conclude that the administrators of https://www.freecivweb.org/ have willingly engaged into piracy.
Hi Louis, I'll let the others respond on when/where the code will be released, but the original image in question was reported to me as being not licensed. This was a volunteer error and we acted immediately to replace it. During that fix, several candidate images were used on a rotation basis. This was literally only done a matter of 2 or 3 days ago. I'm sure you understand that we were trying to do the right thing by acting quickly, especially given the current mood in the community and I'm surprised to be so quickly criticised for it.

Our intention here was entirely to be open source, not the other way around. Give it time for Lexxie to respond on when/where the updated code will be released but I would like to state that we are being criticised here for trying to do the right thing.